MARS (Multi-application Recovery Service) - Google Photos "Migrate" option?

Obelisk
New here

MARS (Multi-application Recovery Service) - Google Photos "Migrate" option?

Post by Obelisk »

Hello,

With the QNAP MARS application, QNAP is advertising "MARS provides a simple method for users to back up/migrate photos and videos from Google Photos to QNAP NAS".

"Backing up Google Photos with MARS is absolutely easy with simple steps, an intuitive UI, and automatic backup schedule that helps free up mobile device storage."

Can someone please help me with the configuration setting to "free up device storage"/migrate photos off the Google storage?

The QNAP Guide appears to show configuring for backing up Google Photo to the NAS, but the "migrate" option seems to be missing.

Thanks for you help.
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Re: MARS (Multi-application Recovery Service) - Google Photos "Migrate" option?

Post by diwiwi »

To my understanding:
- "free up mobile device storage" because after the backup, you can delete the original files from the mobile device, and therefore free some space..
- "migrate" is just "backup" and delete the original.
Obelisk
New here

Post by Obelisk »

It seems disingenuous to advertise "migrate" and "automatic backup schedule that helps free up mobile device storage", if the heavy lifting to delete files from the cloud is still a manual process.

Launching the application, the Quick Start window that opens states " MARS (Multi-Application Recovery Service) provides a secure and flexible backup solution for disaster recovery and data migration." I'm definitely getting the impression this tool should perform migration, not just backups.
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

I believe that is a marketing wording, but it is technically not wrong...
bacila
New here

Post by bacila »

- "migrate" is just "backup" and delete the original.
Is that true? As as soon as I delete photo from Google Photos it gets deleted from QNAP, after next backup job run is done. Or did I misconfigured something?
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

bacila wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:43 am Is that true? As as soon as I delete photo from Google Photos it gets deleted from QNAP, after next backup job run is done. Or did I misconfigured something?
Ask this to qnap!
And please don't post on multiple topics..

-
bacila
New here

Post by bacila »

diwiwi wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:56 am
bacila wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:43 am Is that true? As as soon as I delete photo from Google Photos it gets deleted from QNAP, after next backup job run is done. Or did I misconfigured something?
Ask this to qnap!
And please don't post on multiple topics..
Already have case opened... Will see how it goes. From initial reaction it looks like this is not an expected program behavior.

Return to “Google Cloud Storage”