Slow upload

Minervia
First post

Slow upload

Post by Minervia »

Hi

We have a 100 dedicated line to the internet, I have set off a 800gb to Google cloud storage using the google app, however am only getting a Max speed of 800kb/s!!! Which means it will take weeks! I have tweaked whatever I , reduce the concurrent upload to even 1. It box is a TS-142 box..

Anyone got any ideas why it's so slow???
jens_dk
Getting the hang of things

Re: Slow upload

Post by jens_dk »

Extremely slow upload speed of 70 Kbps using:
Nas: TS-121
App: Google Cloud Storage v. 1.1.371
Encryption: disabled
Internet connection: 50/50 MB

No speed problem backing up to Amazon S3 using build Cloud Backup.

Any solution?

Jens
coupeborgward
Starting out

Post by coupeborgward »

Same here. Slow upload 120Kbps
Using Ts-251
Google Cloud app: 1.1.387
No encryption

Any suggestions here ?
QuantumBiker
Starting out

Post by QuantumBiker »

When I first started up my S3 Plus backup was seeing speeds almost up to 1Mbit now I cannot break a few kbps - 1-2 at most and sometimes it is under 1kbps

Using AT&T Uverse - 6Mbit upload speeds and NVG599 gateway that has QOS. Speed to S3 seems to vary a lot.

When I first started using S3 Plus - I was saturating my uplink with a Uverse gateway that did not have QOS on the uplink. The NVG599 fixed that but something is not right.
LucKeS
New here

Post by LucKeS »

I am having the same problem.

Google Cloud.
Im averaging 30kbps when I used to have a lot more.
Is there reason I am pushing up so slowly?

The only answers I have so are an app problem. On my side the CPU/RAM and connection are all top shape.

Thank you.
LucKeS
New here

Post by LucKeS »

I am having the same problem.

Google Cloud storage app.
Im averaging 30kbps when I used to have a lot more.
Is there reason I am pushing up so slowly?

The only answers I have so are an app problem. On my side the CPU/RAM and connection are all top shape.

Thank you.
jspamc
First post

Post by jspamc »

I am having the same issue. average of about 500kBs and I am on 100MBs up/down fiber.

Any solutions? It has down about 30gig in 24 hours.

Submitted a trouble ticket, but no reply.
QuantumBiker
Starting out

Post by QuantumBiker »

I think I may know several things affecting this. Pretty technical detail here - so followup with questions.

1. ADSL - Asynchronus DSL - or VDSL - Downloads much faster than uploads. However, if you start to saturate your upload bandwidth, you will also kill your downloads. Why? Well, every packet you download requires an ACK (oversimplified) packet and if you cannot upload the "I got it" packet - downloads will stop/slow to a crawl.
2. No QOS/flow control. This makes 1. worse - some routers/gateways have NO flow control or QOS - so your ACK's get back up behind all those big fat upload packets now - makes 1. worse.
3. NAT table limit. First, go learn about NAT - no - really - basically every connection to/from devices in your network take up an entry in the NAT table in your router/gateway. By connection, I mean every link to a site on a web page, every file upload or download, every DNS (lookup hostname) request, take up an entry in the NAT table (maps single external IP address of your router/GW to each of your devices and maintains state for Firewall operations....). This limit for some ISP's is pretty low - like under 2000 total connections. These don't go away when you are done - they linger. TCP for 24 hours in some cases, UDP for 5-10 minutes.

Ok - 3. is bad - think about it - a web page with images, advertisements, etc... may pull data from 10-100 other web sites. Modern web browsers do these in parallel. Each hostname for these has to be looked up via DNS - so - let's say there are references to 20 different hosts and each one has 2 things to pull - that's 20 DNS lookups and 40 connections to pull the data - that's 60 connections on ONE PAGE. Now go through a bunch of pages - - ok - maybe 5 - so that's 300 connections in 5 minutes - and - say your spouse is also browsing - your NAS is now also trying to sync a few 1000 files - guess what - NAT table overflow. What happens? Packets dropped - so connections drop and must be re-connected - which cascades into refreshing all those connections.

Basically, you cannot use a NAS behind a NAT that limits NAT table to under a couple 1000 enrtires (connections).

Solution? Don't use a NAS behind a NATed gatwway that is limited - good luck with that!

Going from 45M to 1G service - problems got worse - lots of failures - very fast failures - but failures.

Check for this in your ISP's logs: "nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet."
coupeborgward
Starting out

Post by coupeborgward »

Thank you QuantumBiker. that all makes sense
QuantumBiker
Starting out

Post by QuantumBiker »

Also discovered QNAP BitTorrent - port 6881 - killing my NAT table too - had to remove download manager completely using App Center and turn of UPnP in discovery service in control pannel. This killed all the port 6881 BitTorrent traffic I most certainly did NOT WANT.
dnsplus
Starting out

Post by dnsplus »

My speeds are not great, but they are better than what you are seeing.

My client has 1000/200 ATT Fiber service.
NAS: 859 Pro +, FW 4.2.6

Upload average: 4MB/s
Download average: 3MB/s

I can nail the upload speed at 22MB/s (200Mbps) using powershell scripts and the GCS modules from a vmware windows virtual machine which does the backups for the environment.
So, I know its not my switches, firewalls, internet service, etc. It's the QNAP.

Oh, and I have yet to complete a full backup or restore; the QNAP has crashed prior to completion *every* time.
========================================
1x TS-563
2x TS-859 Pro+
TrueNAS server with 125 600GB SAS 10K drives

Return to “Google Cloud Storage”