Backup to non-empty Google Cloud Storage bucket / install gsutil

nomon
New here

Backup to non-empty Google Cloud Storage bucket / install gsutil

Post by nomon »

Hi all,

I have purchased a new TS-251+ since my TS-210 was getting a bit old.

On my TS-210 I was successfully running a Google Cloud Storage (GCS) backup. As my TS-251+ contains now a copy of the old NAS, I want to continue with the same backup job on GCS.

However, when trying to set up a GCS job, I get an error message that the bucket is not empty.

From what I have found out so far, this seems to be a general problem with QNAP's Google Cloud Storage app. How can I work around this?

Under no circumstances I want to create a new bucket again and re-upload everything again!

In fact, it would be perfect for me if I could use the rsync option of Google's gsutil command line tool. However, I am struggling to find a way of installing it on the TS-251+. I can't seem to find an app prepared with this tool and installing it like on a normal Linux machine does not seem to be possible due to various reasons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
pbrooks
Starting out

Re: Backup to non-empty Google Cloud Storage bucket / install gsutil

Post by pbrooks »

I'm in the same boat - I want a Google Cloud backup to back up, and I have an existing backup storage already in Google Cloud, with all the files present.
However, the QNAP app doesn't seem to check if the files are already there before merrily transferring the file again and overwriting the files already stored - it seems to only consult a local database of what it thinks has already been sent. So now it wants to push out 2TB of data again, after I spent 2 days with gsutils setting up the Google storage so that nothing needed to be transferred on the initial run!

AFAIK, there isn't a workaround, and the only way to fix it is to report this failure to check the cloud storage container before sending the file as a bug or undesirable behaviour, and see if QNAP will fix the app in a future release.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

refer to faq link to create support ticket. expect reply from them in 24 hour :} then they'll know to fix or improve this app.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
fullerms
Starting out

Post by fullerms »

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I have the same issue and it appears there is no solution yet.

During testing, I was able to create a backup job by creating a new folder within the same bucket. I created a ticket for this issue, and QNAP support have responded that there is a limitation when using Google Cloud Storage and cant reuse a non-empty folder.

I have asked to clarification on whether this is a limitation at Google or the QNAP end, will post an update when I get a response.

Has anyone else managed to find a solution?
TS-453 Pro
Single Gigabit Connection to the network
4 x 3TB WD RED in RAID 6
ruvain
New here

Post by ruvain »

Hello every one!

Now it is my turn to ask forgiveness for the recycling of an old thread.
Like all those who wrote here before me, I have a problem with the installation process of gsutil on my QNAP.

In my particular case, my aim is seting up the FUSE protocol which allows mapping a directory on the NAS as to a cloud bucket and emulating a file system. I assume that by achieving this goals, should allow me enjoying the option of creating back jobs supporting file versioning managed by the NAS itself, trough the built-in backup apps. A functionality, available only while the backup storage target of a jobs, is a local folder.

If anyone has solved it or have some experience utilizing the Container Startion app, together with a container implementing FUSE, his help would be greatfully appreciated!

Return to “Google Cloud Storage”