Synchronized filename sometimes has datetime appended?

tharris
First post

Synchronized filename sometimes has datetime appended?

Post by tharris »

With Cloud Drive Sync app running on our QNAP NAS to a Google account with Google Drive, most files are synchronized with identical filename on NAS and on Google Drive.

But sometimes (and perhaps only after a power outage stopped all QNAP NAS synchronization tasks and we restarted them manually and they caught up to synchronized), the filename on Google Drive is not identical. Instead it has the datetime appended to it. For example, QNAP NAS filename: myfile.xls; Google Drive filename myfile__20171225T#####.######Z where the "#" section is the datetime when the file was again synchronized.

Q1: Why does this happen?
Q2: Is it QNAP Cloud Drive Sync app doing this or is it Google Drive doing it?
Q3: Is there any way to convince the system to return using the filename without the datetime appended? (Tried deleting the file from Google Drive -- which deleted from NAS too -- and then restoring to NAS from offline copy -- but that again produced Google Drive synchronized copy with the datetime appended.)
Missing_Link
Starting out

Re: Synchronized filename sometimes has datetime appended?

Post by Missing_Link »

Hi,

I had this too when I decided to sync a local copy of my Google Drive with the online version.

I think it's because it finds the same file and the policy you have says to create a duplicate.

The easiest way to check this is to run a Duplicate File Finder app like this one:

http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fast-D ... -About.htm

I've used this product for years, and if you use 100% match then you will see which files have the same content with/without the file/date time appended.

I highly recommend the Pro (paid-for) version as this will let you exclude certain folders / file types so you can ignore "known copies" of files that you might have in another folder.

Although it's a Windows app, it works well with networked drives.

Once I resolved all the duplicates highlighted by the app I set up a two-way sync between a subfolder on the NAS and a specific subfolder on the Google Drive. Now it works really great (apart from an issue syncing Google Docs/Sheets). I've logged an issue in the forum for this myself :-)

Hope this helps.
===========================
System: QNAP TS-453A (8GB)
Drive config: 12TB (4 x 3TB WD RED) - RAID 5
Backup: Seagate 8 TB Backup Plus Hub (3.5" external, USB 3.0)
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX - 700VA, BX700U-GR (AVR, 4 Schuko outputs, USB)
msterling
First post

Post by msterling »

This problem has caused my 1tb of Google storage to fill up although I am only syncing 300gb of files. MANY files are renamed as shown above. A large number of files are updated each day so the duplicates grow very quickly. I use Hybrid Backup Sync and I am doing a one-way sync from the NAS. It is a TS-863U and I am running the latest version of firmware and Hybrid Backup Sync. It would be nice to know if one of the other apps avoids this issue. Maybe Cloud Drive Sync or Google Cloud Storage would work better.
qcrap
First post

Post by qcrap »

Have the same problem, using hybrid cloud sync app, "two way sync" job between a folder in qnap and google drive, set to "continuous", conflict policy set to "replace local files" at the moment, before it was set to "newer file wins" but none of the conflict policies are actually working. I still get lots of renamed files with an additional date in the file name. I read somewhere else that setting a schedule instead of continuous might solve the problem for u, apparently the conflict policy doesn't work if the schedule is set to continuous, according to that post. I need the conflict policy working in continuous sync tho, im in a very demanding environment. And yes, it's creating a ton more of files wasting hard drive space and also taking up more space in the cloud and costing more money. Also, i wouldn't mind so much if it at least renamed the file which is not the latest (work file) instead of the new ones.

e.g.,

filename - 2018-08-03T114511.090627Z.jpg
filename.jpg

IT IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING!

Have u guys tried any other sync job setting that actually made a difference or less sh!tty? I have a feeling the conflict policy is not doing its job n is just playing with our feelings :lol: . I'm about to throw away this junk qnap and buy sumthg else.

Return to “Google Cloud Storage”