Unable to login via HTTP/SSH regardless of admin password reset

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
janvanderwatt
New here

Unable to login via HTTP/SSH regardless of admin password reset

Post by janvanderwatt »

I have a TS-419 II which recently had 2 of the disks fail. After replacing them I left it alone for a week or two before trying to log in and see what the status was (since the display was stuck on something like "Starting service").

I am unable to log in via HTTP/S ("your login credentials are incorrect or your account is no longer valid", tried Chrome/Edge/Safari on my iPad) and via SSH it closes the window immediately after entering the password (tried on Windows & Mac).

I've been reading every conceivable article on this topic for 3-4 weeks now and this went on to become a nightmare adventure of:
- 3 second button reset
- 10 second button reset
- resetting the password following these guidelines: https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... ot-working

I don't have BitDefender, and I've tried disabling all firewalls and virus scanners as well. Issue persists from all devices including Mac.

I have also used the QFinder utility to update the firmware and at that point, admin/admin seems to work as the username & password. But for nothing else.

I am able to log in and mount the RAID volume if I follow these: https://mensfeld.pl/2015/02/recovering- ... -properly/
I can navigate around it and the files appear to be OK.

I have also tried at that point to mount a USB disk so that I can copy the files onto another disk and then start over, but it seems the device is in a very basic state at that point and I can't mount an NTFS device (mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs').

As soon as I reboot the device, I'm back to not being able to log in.

I am now a bit stuck. Any suggestions as to how I could convince the device to let me in?

/etc/passwd
admin:x:0:0:administrator:/share/homes/admin:/bin/sh
guest:x:65534:65534:guest:/tmp:/bin/sh

/etc/shadow
admin:$1$$CoERg7ynjYLsj2j4glJ34.:14233:0:99999:7:::
guest:$1$$ysap7EeB9ODCrO46Psdbq/:14233:0:99999:7:::
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to login via HTTP/SSH regardless of admin password reset

Post by dolbyman »

so if two drives failed and it would still let you rebuild I guess it was either Raid6 or 10?

as most of the operating system is on the disks..have you tried a firmware recovery ?

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

if you have backups try it right away...if not try mounting all disks externally first and backup the data
janvanderwatt
New here

Post by janvanderwatt »

I'll try that, but I'm not sure that's the problem. Firmware updates through QFinder are working (shows it being V4.3.3.0724). The device boots up and is presenting the login interface (both HTTP/S and SSH).
It's just that it doesn't believe me that the username & password is admin/admin.
(I'm still backing up data which is taking a while)
janvanderwatt
New here

Post by janvanderwatt »

Thanks for the suggestions. There just seemed to be some issue with the disks that I couldn't get past and I had spent enough time on this.
So, since I had sufficient backups I decided to go with a complete rebuild.
I started the NAS without any disks, then inserted one of the non-bay-1 disks into bay 1 of the array, reformatted it and after that was up and running I added back the other disks in a different order to which they were in.
I then migrated these disks into a RAID array (this took a day or so to execute), and now the array is back up and running again. I restored the backups (another two days) and everything is back to normal, apart from the shares and user accounts that I had to set up again.

Return to “NAS Management”