[Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
gutted
Starting out

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by gutted » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:00 am

I'm not a regular contributor here, so please excuse me if I make any etiquette errors. I appear to have got freshclam working again on my TS-469 Pro (QTS 4.3.4.1652). Having read through several threads on this, it seems I should point out that I installed some extra RAM in my NAS - I've got ~3GB in mine.

I don't know how long it will last, but here are the steps I followed.

Manually installed an updated ClamAV qpkg from here
Using SSH, ran the updated freshclam (from /opt/ClamAV/bin - initially it complained about ca-certificates.crt, so I needed to download a new bundle from here - I put that into /etc/ssl/certs/ and renamed it as ca-certificates.crt
Manual freshclam (using SSH) then worked from /opt/ClamAV/bin and I retrieved updated definition files (and then I could manually run /opt/ClamAV/bin/clamscan from SSH)
Copied the updated definition files from /opt/ClamAV/DB into the shipped version clamav working directory (in my case it#s /share/MD0_DATA/.antivirus/usr/share/clamav )

The update now runs successfully from QTS now, too - I don't know if it'll last as I guess the clamav launched from QTS still the old version (/usr/local/bin ) rather than the one I instaled from qpkg. For that matter I'm not even sure how the update works from QTS, but it does, so I'm counting my blessings for now.

EDIT: Dang. That was fairly short-lived. Updates failing again now :(

lpwevers
New here

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by lpwevers » Tue May 04, 2021 2:17 am

FSC830 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 am
Superdoop wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:30 pm
If the instructions were clearer
Here we go... (if you have already any Linux running, no matter if VM or physical)

Download and install cvdupdate,
Add two lines to crontab (only an example, modify your preferred time and paths for database download/web server root directory):

Code: Select all

0 23 * * * python3 -m cvdupdate update
15 23 * * * cp -r  ~/.cvdupdate/database/* /var/www/html
Edit /etc/init.d/antivirus.sh and add following line (search for "DatabaseMirror" in script to get the location):

/bin/echo "DatabaseMirror myhost.mydomain.my" >> $FRESHCLAM_CONFIG
Add a line in NAS /etc/config/freshclam.conf (again an example, modify your hostname and domain as needed)
You must use a FQDN, it will not work using the IP!
Make sure, that FQDN can be resolved from NAS, myhost.mydomain.my is the host you installed the cvdupdate package and add the cronjobs.

DatabaseMirror myhost.mydomain.my
You are done.

Regards
Thanks for this. Works like a charm, with only one little issue. Every time I reboot the NAS my antivirus.sh gets overwritten. (Seems fair as it's loaded into the ramdisk). Is there a way to make this change permanent?

Also, for those of you who run into the same issue, I've setup the cvdupdate on my public webserver, feel free to use it if you don't have the expertise or system available to run the cvdupdate script. You can access it at clamav.wevers.tv

Regards,
Louis.

Return to “NAS Management”