**HELP** I can no longer login to my QNap TS-451+

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
kimhuff1701
Starting out

**HELP** I can no longer login to my QNap TS-451+

Post by kimhuff1701 »

I am new to the QNap. I've had it setup for a few months and it has been working great!

On June 4, 2022, I was doing some upgrades to various apps and just looking at all of the features. I don't remember all the things I touched but I do think I was messing with some kind of security option to hopefully protect myself from hackers along with setting up the SMTP. It looked like the option would email you if there was an issue. I also changed the login password to my QNap backend. After I was finished I logged out and closed my browser page, but then remembered I forgot to add a movie. I opened Chrome and the QNap page but when I tried to login, I received an error message. I clicked on the Forgot Password, but all that did was give me information about logging in with the default. I think the reason the default isn't working is because we disabled after everything was setup correctly.

So, how does anyone log in if they are having a password issue without resetting the entire NAS? I can't login with the default if I have disabled it and I can't enable the default if I can't login. Please tell me there is another solution.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: **HELP** I can no longer login to my QNap TS-451+

Post by FSC830 »

Do you disabled the reset button at rear?
In that case its best to contact QNAP support for assistance.
I do not recommend disabling this button, if you are concerned about security encrypt the data, do backups(!) at a regular schedule(!!!) and keep them in a safe place.
Actually I cant see why SMTP (mail notificcation) will protect you in any way against malware/ransomware?
Afaik in the last malware waves there was no mail "you have been hacked", the "hack notice" was seen when logging in to NAS.

Regards
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

FSC830 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:49 pm Do you disabled the reset button at rear?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. There is no button on the back of my unit.
I do not recommend disabling this button, if you are concerned about security encrypt the data, do backups(!) at a regular schedule(!!!) and keep them in a safe place.
I have four 8TB drives in a raid configuration. I also backup my computer with AWS.
Actually I cant see why SMTP (mail notificcation) will protect you in any way against malware/ransomware?
Afaik in the last malware waves there was no mail "you have been hacked", the "hack notice" was seen when logging in to NAS.
I've seen no messages about being hacked. I was just trying to protect myself from that. I thought the SMTP would email me if a file had been flagged.

I'll try reaching out to tech support. I was just hoping there was an easy way to get in. I could reset it I guess. I didn't even have that much uploaded.

Thank you for your time.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

kimhuff1701 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:15 pm
FSC830 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:49 pm Do you disabled the reset button at rear?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. There is no button on the back of my unit.
The reset button is located inside a small, round hole (shown here highlighted with a red box):

This button allows you to reset parts of your NAS configuration: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained

Recommend you try to fix your issue by performing a short (3-second) reset.

It's possible to disable this button via your QTS Control Panel, but it sounds unlikely you've done this. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

OneCD wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:23 pm This button allows you to reset parts of your NAS configuration: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained

Recommend you try to fix your issue by performing a short (3-second) reset.

It's possible to disable this button via your QTS Control Panel, but it sounds unlikely you've done this. ;)
Thank you so much, especially for the image. I was thinking it was an actual button.

I'll checkout that link about resetting and if I have any more questions, I'll let you know.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

kimhuff1701 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:06 pm ... I don't remember all the things I touched but I do think I was messing with some kind of security option to hopefully protect myself from hackers along with setting up the SMTP. ...
That was exact where my question was pointing to.
As OneCD said, the reset button can be disabled, and the wording "some kind of security option" can be understand as securing/hardening the NAS in some way.
Disabling the reset is one of that options, but it is a pit too, if you forgot every admin accounts password :wink: .

Anyhow, neither 3s nor 10s reset will delete any data! When pressing 10s i.e. the shared folders are gone too and you need to recreate them. So take care to press only for 3s (until first beep).

Regards
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

Thank you all for your assistance. I did do the 3-second reset and it did nothing for me. Here is what I am seeing.

Clicked "Forgot Password."

Here is what I see in my Orbi Device Manager

The part I blurred out is the MAC address. The odd thing is the Device Manager shows the MAC 2 address, not MAC 1. When I logged in I tried the MAC 1 first and then the MAC 2 with admin as the username. Both came back with the same response. (See the first two images.)

I hope someone can help me.
Regards,

Kim Huff
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no idea what the orbi is reading ..but the 1st mac would show up on a sticker on the NAS or via qfinder
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

Yes, the MAC sticker is on the NAS and I checked to make sure they are correct.

Another thing, I have a blinking amber light on the front of the NAS. Does anyone know what this means?

http://geekfindings.com/images/20220702_023318.mp4
Regards,

Kim Huff
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

Oh, and I also tried logging in with admin / admin and that too did not work.
Regards,

Kim Huff
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

• If your device manager is seeing the MAC for the second port, then try unplugging the Ethernet cable from the current port and connect it to the other Ethernet port on the NAS. Only connect a single network cable to the NAS.
  • When logging-in, did you enter the MAC 1 address in the correct format? (i.e. all uppercase, no colons, no dashes, no whitespace, etc)
  • It’s safe to post your MAC addresses online. They won't help anyone hack into your NAS. ;)
  • With regard to the amber LED: if it’s the LAN LED, that’s fine. It should blink when it sees network traffic going into and out-of your NAS.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

OneCD wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:22 am
  • When logging-in, did you enter the MAC 1 address in the correct format? (i.e. all uppercase, no colons, no dashes, no whitespace, etc)
Yes, and I've quadruple checked it to make sure it is correct looking at the MAC label on the device.

I know the ethernet cable IS in the second port on the back of the NAS. I moved it to the 2nd port because it wasn't working in the first. LOL! I'll move it back and try it agagin.

I'll message you back when I'm done.
Regards,

Kim Huff
kimhuff1701
Starting out

Post by kimhuff1701 »

Well, I moved the eternet cable to the top port and put in the MAC 1 address without all the punctuation marks and it still does not work.

What do I do now? I really need to get this thing fixed.
Regards,

Kim Huff
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Contact QNAP support?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »