[AntiVirus] taking much longer to do a quick scan

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
ottosmnops
New here

[AntiVirus] taking much longer to do a quick scan

Post by ottosmnops »

Hi,

I have had no troubles with my NAS for a long time, but lately I am worried a little. I have configured the AntiVirus to do quick scans once a week. A few months ago I discovered it was no longer doing any scans, as the virus definitions were outdated. Auto-updating them didn't work, so I downloaded the latest file manually from ClamAV. Since then, by some magic, the auto-update is working again. I read in some other thread that the failure to update was quite common as some endpoint had been changed by ClamAV, resulting in the failure to download the definition files. So. Lately I discovered that my quick scans, which used to take about 4 hours on my 2 disk, 2 TB each, setup, now won't even finish within 4 days of scanning. I have no clue why that is and I am asking for your help to find out.
The amount of data stored has not increased by a significant amount that would explain the increase in time required to scan the files.
I have not installed any additional services that require much ressources.
I am mainly using the device for storing files that I put there manually, or for my TimeMachine Backups. All of these work fine.
But it seems that my device never goes idle any more. There were times when it would just spin down the disks because there was nothing to do. Now it almost seems as if it is constantly busy, judging from the sound of the disks, even when no Backup is running.
I cannot see significant resources being used in the ressource monitor.
Malware remover is up to date (at least the app, not sure about the definition files), but doesn't find anything.
In regards to that: how can I see if the definition files have been updated? I have configured the Malware remover to check for updates daily and to do a check immediately afterwards. But no matter which time I set for the update, I cannot see in the QuLog if there was an attempt to update the definition file, or if it has been completed, or not. I cannot even see what day the definitions were last updated. I would like to make sure that my device is not running some bitcoin mining in the background without me knowing. My device was never accessible from the outside, at least not as far as I know, but who knows...

Maybe some of you can give me some help to find out
- what the heck my device is doing that keeps the AV from completing the scan faster than 4 days.
- How I can find out if the malware definitions are up to date

Thanks,

Chris
I'm using a TS-251+ with 2GB of RAM and 2 2TB HDD set to RAID-1
QTS installed: v 5.0.0.1870
Motco
First post

Re: [AntiVirus] taking much longer to do a quick scan

Post by Motco »

Hi Chris

Did you establish why the virus scan was taking so long?

I'm experiencing something similar, with scans of about 2.5tb of data taking about 5 days on a TS-231P with ARM CPU and 4tb drives.

I'd be interested to hear if you managed to get the virus scans to take less time.

Thanks

Jeremy
Zak Attack
New here

Post by Zak Attack »

Chris,

I am also interested in what you may have found. Currently, my antivirus scan has be running for 18 hours and has only completed 5%. I have two 4TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

Zak
anger3
New here

Post by anger3 »

I have also have a TP-231P w/ 2 x 6TB drives and my initial anti-virus scan has been running for 4 days and now it is sitting at 53% for 2 past days now.

Has anyone found a way if there is a quick scan function available?
DenisForum
First post

Post by DenisForum »

Hi everyone!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone to have these problems:
  • Antivrus takes days
  • NAS "sounds" busy even if CPU is busy at 20%
  • Disk Complete Test takes days for Disk 1 while it's 10 hours for Disk 2
Malware Remover works fine, I think. According to the QuLog Center, it first looks for a new version of the software, installs it if there is one and then does the scan.
It is as if the malware definitions are in the software code. I scheduled it once a day and it does that all the time.

Even if Antivirus takes days to complete, according to Ressource Monitor, it takes about 0.5% of the CPU while the CPU consumes about 20-30% in total. Maybe, it's a question of priority.
I'm unable to identify the process in the Ressource Monitor associated to the Disk Complete Test (disk_manage.cgi?), then I don't know its CPU consumption but I know that the total CPU activity is at 20-30% level at the same time.

I noticed this a few weeks ago. I put some hope in the new version of the operating system but it didn't change anything. So I decided to reinstall the NAS, including formatting. Which I just finished.
I didn't insall Container, Download, Music, Photo, Video, HybridDesk Stations and so on... Just the basic.
I have not yet installed my files on the NAS and launched the antivirus. After 30 hours, it is at 8%!!! Disk 1 Complete Test is still at 10% after 30 hours!!!

That means, it's not a question of number of files or GB of data you have. It's not because the CPU is busy with other tasks either.
Then, the following questions:
  • Can we change the CPU priority of Antivirus or another important task like Disk Complete Test ?
  • Is it a question of IOPS ?
I say that because I have 2 HDD and according to the following QNAP paper, SSD are 1000 faster than 5400 RPM drives in terms of IOPS (Input/Output per second). But it's not consistent with the fact that Disk 1 is almost 2 times faster that Disk2.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... t-practice

I have a TS-251D. I had an HS-251 for many years. It died last June because of an electrical storm. I didn't have a backup battery. I corrected that. The Antivirus reports were for the HS-251 until June and the TS-251 until mid-July.

Denis
fockyou
Starting out

Post by fockyou »

Antivirus is super slow as it goes over million of files over and over, High IOPS won't help. It does deep scanning on low priority - a receipt for long wait. It doesn't remember files scanned previously. It scans massive number of files which system spawns across system drives also: like thumbnails (millions of files), facedata, QuMagie data, dockers (especially Qnap docker apps spawn the whole system images, it's like scanning comupter in computer), and also Plex metadata.
All that helps is add some directories to the exclusion.

Code: Select all

/Plex Media Server/Metadata
/Plex Media Server/Media
/.system/facedata
/.system/thumbnail
/.qpkg/QuMagieCore/QuMagieCore/images
/.qpkg/QuMagieCore/QuMagieCore/face
/MediaSignPlayer/CodexPackExt/share/

Return to “NAS Management”