Can't modify adapter settings

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
ArtVandelay2020
New here

Can't modify adapter settings

Post by ArtVandelay2020 »

Good afternoon,

I have a TS-EC88OU. I'm logged on with the admin account. I want to modify the DNS settings on any/all of its Connected adapters. Within Control Panel | Network & Virtual Switch | Network | Interfaces, when I change the DNS settings for 'Adapter 3+4', and click Submit, after about 30 seconds the Loading notification disappears, the Config dialog closes, but when I open the Config dialog again and check the DNS tab, I can see that my change was not applied.

There are two other adapters (5: Disconnected, and 6: Connected) which are part of a virtual switch. In the Config dialog for either of them, I see that 'Certain adapter settings cannot be modified. The adapter is part of a virtual switch.'

Within Network | Virtual Switch, I open Config, and the dialog that opens shows 'Select the deivce for Virtual Switch', but there is nothing there to select. At the bottom it shows 'Step 1 of 6', and there is a Cancel button and a Previous button, both of which are unresponsive. I have to close the Network & Virtual Switch window to get back to Control Panel.

Can someone point me to the steps to take to enable modification of the (DNS) settings on any of these adapters? Thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Can't modify adapter settings

Post by dolbyman »

I shall delete your post in MISC then..no need to post it more than once

make sure to add some screenshots..it's unclear what all these connections are doing and what they are (supposed to be) used for
ArtVandelay2020
New here

Yes, thank you. I think MISC was the wrong category.
ArtVandelay2020
New here

The NICs have two purposes: 3 and 4 are paired for throughput purposes; 5 and 6 are part of a Virtual Switch.
QNAP1.png
QNAP2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

3+4 are set to failover not trunked (no throughput advantage)

and what kind of 'switch' are the other ones part of (screenshot?), a software defined layer 2 switch does not need a gateway
ArtVandelay2020
New here

Ah, thank you. Do you think that the fact that they're set to failover prevents their DNS server settings from being edited? If so, do I need to break the failover setting first, before editing of DNS settings could be done?
ArtVandelay2020
New here

A 10 GB virtual switch.
QNAP3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

failover only ever has one port active, just disable it and use a single port

also a 2 port software defined switch is pretty useless, you can connect two devices .. same as with a straight cable
ArtVandelay2020
New here

I didn't configure the software defined virtual switch, so I don't know what the purposes were. But you mean, if you're going to create a virtual switch, why not give it at least 8 ports, or so. Is that what you mean?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

a software defined layer 2 switch does the same thing as one of those little unmanaged switches you can buy, have you ever seen a 2 port switch ?

Return to “NAS Management”