Backup Station:Backup failed, external storage device not available

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
timonoj
Getting the hang of things

Backup Station:Backup failed, external storage device not available

Post by timonoj »

Hi guys,

Can someone help me here? I have a 2TB External USB drive permanently hooked onto the USB port of my Qnap TS-431. I want to use it as backup drive. I formatted it from the NAS as EXT4 (I don't have any data I care for in the USB drive yet). I want to replicate several folder pairs from the NAS to the External USB Drive, backup size around 1.1TB. When I click on manually start, it stays preparing for about 10mins (scanning...0 files), then it finally starts and immediately fail within the same second in the logs. Error: Job is aborted because the external device is not available. Anything I can do/Check?

Thanks!
applaushh
First post

Re: Backup Station:Backup failed, external storage device not available

Post by applaushh »

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same Problem with my TS-251. The external USB Disk is removed 30-60mins after starting the first Backup from the QNAP.
"USB port 4 Device removed successfully"

The USB is a Western Digital myBook 8TB USB 3
Is this kind of a USB3 problem with QNAP or are there any solutions out there?

Thx for helping.
timonoj
Getting the hang of things

Post by timonoj »

Thanks, although I'm not sure it's exactly the same problem, I don't get to see any removed drive. Just the backup failing after waiting for a while to start without doing anything. In your case it might be more related to the USB connection...Do you have anything else on the system logs maybe?
Mine is a Seagate Backup Portable drive.
Tomverbruggen
New here

Post by Tomverbruggen »

Hi Timonoj,

were you able to solve the problem? I want to do exactly the same with my TS-421. When the backup job starts, it says initializing for a couple of minutes and then fails.
"Job is aborted because the external device is not available".

Would be great if you solved it :-)

Tom

Return to “NAS Management”