QNAP "The Server is busy or the network is disconnected"

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
talnas
Starting out

QNAP "The Server is busy or the network is disconnected"

Post by talnas »

For some reason I'm getting this every 5 to 10 minutes on my QNAP now, which is VERY frustrating.

Model: TS-453A
Memory: 8GB (Did a memory update around 3 months ago)
Firmware: 4.2.2 Build 2016214

I don't have any knowledge on using the CLI on the NAS, so if someone could please tell me who to enabling logging so I can post this on the site, so someone can tell me what is causing this issue, please let me know.

I've removed most of the applications that where previously installed, such as DL-Station, Surv-Station, Plex.
I have two network cables plugged into the NAS, using ports 1 and 2, both set to auto-negotiate and jumbo frames set to 1500.

Even though I have removed Plex, I still get event notifications saying "Plex Media Server hasn't been enabled or started...."
talnas
Starting out

Re: QNAP "The Server is busy or the network is disconnected"

Post by talnas »

Is there any way I can take the drives out and do a factory reset, keeping all the data on my drives and then go through the setup again, with the QNAP identifying the drives where part of a previous QNAP RAID set and it won't format them?

Other than that at the moment, I can see that my only option or taking it and getting a refund, as I've had the error message appear 4 times in the last 5 minutes.
Sébastien
First post

Post by Sébastien »

Hello,

I have the same issue with my TS-251 (1Go RAM/Firmware QTS 4.2.3./ 2x4To WD Red whose only 176Go are used).

Any solution or suggestion?
TS 251
firmware 4.2.3
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

talnas wrote:I have two network cables plugged into the NAS, using ports 1 and 2, both set to auto-negotiate and jumbo frames set to 1500.
Configured how (any port trunking?) and connected to what exact network equipment configured how?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
talnas
Starting out

Post by talnas »

Sorry for the late response.

There was no port trunking. Since having the latest SuperHub from Virgin I wasn't getting 200MB download with my NightHawk router, so I lost QoS functionality.
To get round this I use two NICs on my NAS, which are connected to my managed switches. This way I can limit the bandwidth on one of the switch ports, which is used purely for external Plex use, with the other NIC / switch port being used internally to copy files to and from the NAS, along with Plex for inside the house.

I eventually got round my issue by going through / resetting all the TCPIP settings on the NAS. Not had a problem since I carried this out and I'm just waiting on the Ryzen NAS now.... :)
Branox
New here

Post by Branox »

Hi, I have the same problem with TS-859U-RP+ . I am very frustrating from QNAP NAS-es... Every 5 minutes or more often disconnected, also not possible to copy bigger files to NAS because of connection droped and "Upload failed".I have also running at the same time Synology NAS and it is ROCK stable in the same infrastructure, unlike QNAP. Shame QNAP.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

obviously an issue with your nas or environment (nobody else has this issue)

firmware?
changed ports to test?
changed cable to test?
etc
Branox
New here

Post by Branox »

Firmaware: 4.2.6 build 20181227
I was trying to change ports, cables, switches, now it is conneced both interfaces with Link Aggregation, and still the same problem.
Maybe some hw problem, Shame that it's already out of warranty. :(
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Branox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 am I was trying to change ports, cables, switches, now it is conneced both interfaces with Link Aggregation...
Which link aggregation mode?

Connected to exactly what equipment (configured how, if it's something with management possibilities)?

Have you tried with a single interface connected?
Maybe some hw problem...
Unlikely a hardware problem, more likely a configuration issue. There are of course exceptions but network interfaces on Qnaps are usually binary, they either work or they don't when it's hardware related.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Branox
New here

Post by Branox »

lacp 802.3ad

First configured on switch (Cisco 3750G), then in NAS.
Before (1 week) I use NAS with single interface, also try both interface, same problems.

Now I can not connect to NAS anymore, I tried to deactivate all the unnecessary services and among them was the web server. Could this be the cause? Also cannot connect over SSH with Putty...Is it possible to turn it on?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Branox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:04 am lacp 802.3ad

First configured on switch (Cisco 3750G), then in NAS.
Good.
Now I can not connect to NAS anymore, I tried to deactivate all the unnecessary services and among them was the web server. Could this be the cause?
Yes. Maybe they weren't unnecessary?
Also cannot connect over SSH with Putty...Is it possible to turn it on?
Yes.

Branox
New here

Post by Branox »

I know about Telnet/SSH, but both doesnt work (Network error:Connection refused).
I have QNAP in work, now I am trying to do with it only through the PC I am connected from home with teamviewer... :(
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Branox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:39 am I know about Telnet/SSH, but both doesnt work (Network error:Connection refused).
Connecting with admin or whatever other account that you're sure have been enabled for SSH access?

Joburgtaxi
New here

Post by Joburgtaxi »

Hi All

I am having the same problem, keep getting popup saying "The server is busy or the network is disconnected".

I have read a number of similar post with people having the same problem but not one ends in a solution ??? This seems to be a relatively common issue as a number of people have/had it.

My Setup

TS-412 Firmware 4.3.3.0789
4 x 4TB drives in a raid 5 (2 x WD RED & 2 X Seagate Barracuda)
Using single network port (port 1) set to static IP 1000 full duplex external DNS servers and using Virgin Hub as default gateway. MTU is 1500 I would prefer to set it to 1470 but cant as 1500 is the lowest setting.
Virgin Superhub 3, NAS is connected directly into hub

My WD Mycloud works just fine on the same network and is as fast as !!! Same with all other devices on my network they are all as fast as to be expected however this QNAP NAS constantly gets the same error on the web management console and needs to reload, file transfer speeds are appalling, like 300kb/s. I have no disk errors or any other errors showing on the device, I have rebuilt the RAID and also resynced it and I am now at my witts end with it !!!

Any help please
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

Disconnect port 1 and use a new cable and port 2.
Enable SSH in the UI and try to establish an SSH connection and monitor random files in /var/log/ or copy the whole folder including subfolders with WinSCP to your client to examine it there.

Return to “NAS Management”