HS-251+ Disk Management

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
sinobas
First post

HS-251+ Disk Management

Post by sinobas »

Hi All,

I´m looking for some help to understand the behavior of the disks in my NAS since im hitting the wall every time im trying to fix something. I have a 2xBay QNAP NAS (HS-251+) with two 3TB disks mounted as Static Single volumes. In disk1 i install the OS while the disk2 is used as Backup (Using RTRR) and TimeMachine. I decide to use this Static Volume configuration since I thought that i could recover my photos (500GB) in case one of the disks crashes and copied into a new one. Finally this day arrived!

After erasing lots of corrupted data the Disk1 was not clearing the information. With the help of a Qnap Heldesk Admin and after a few days he discover that the Media Library file was corrupted and using the terminal he fix the issue. I say fix since he did manage to clear some space but still there are a lot of GB used and when I check the capacity of both, my main and Backup the difference is huge. Therefore I decide to keep the copy (Disk2) and format the main disk (Disk1), reinstall the NAS and restore the files from my Backup (disk2).

I was first testing how was the best way to do this and get to the option of Storage manager/Storage Space/Remove/Safely Detach Volume. I did, since i was expecting not to accidentally format both disks. After doing so I tried again to "attach" the Volume back but there was no option to do it. I though about restarting the NAS, hoping the disk to came up after this. Wrong. The disk2 was now shown as "Purple" colored while the main disk1 remains "Blue" colored. I tried everywhere for a restore/reverse option but being unable to do so I end up setting it up again with the surprise that the wizard formats the Backup disk before mounting it again. It was very frustrating since I could see it in the Storage manager Overview tab (with different color) but not in the Storage Space tab.

questions:
1. Is there a way to re-attach a previously "Safely Detached Volume" being this volume Static Single?
2. Why one disk was colored Blue while the detached disk was colored Purple?
3. How can I safely format my System Disk and restore the Copy im keeping in disk2?
4. Is there a bettwer way to set up my 2xBay NAS? Im a single domestic user with average knowledge about NASs.

excuse me in advance for the long text, but in the forums i have not found any information about my problem since everybody refers to RAID configurations that I decide not to use.

thanks,

J.

Return to “NAS Management”