TVS-1282T Network Fail with screaming fans

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
Dale303
Starting out

TVS-1282T Network Fail with screaming fans

Post by Dale303 »

We have a TVS-1282T connected to a network via 2x10GBe virtual switch connection. We have a bunch of workstations set up as a render farm with the TVS as the main repository.

Yesterday the network lost connection to the server and the server fans went into overdrive forcing us to shut the machine down. This happened 3 times in one day. It's never happened before. We have however recently been doing more intensive rendering tasks.

I've checked the logs and all they say is that the Ethernet links were lost. There's no suggestion of why or why the fans went mental. Are there any other more detailed logs I can check through to see if they can shed some light on the problem?

The logs on the switch don't suggest the workloads were too stressful.

Also, the Helpdesk app doesn't work. I get a 'Helpdesk is currently unable to access the internet or the Helpdesk Server. Please check your network settings and try again.'
I can log into the QNAP remotely so it definitely has a route to the outside world. Does the Helpdesk need any ports opening to work as the firewall only allows a couple of services through or is there something else that's preventing access.
One other thing is that we're on Virgin so we're using a second router behind the Virgin one. I'm wondering if a double NAT might be mucking communications up. All users on the network have no problems accessing the QNAP or any internet service though so I dunno.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: TVS-1282T Network Fail with screaming fans

Post by storageman »

Maybe some loop or short was going on.
Check the Diagnostic Tool logs too.

Return to “NAS Management”