Hard Drive Continually Running

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
Firepowers
Getting the hang of things

Hard Drive Continually Running

Post by Firepowers »

I turned off indexing as advised in my previous Indexing post but when I did some updates the hard drives just keep running and never stop. It does not show indexing on top right any more where it says No Background Tasks running but hard drives are continually running.

Now I am not sure how I turned off indexing? Maybe I turned it off where it says No Background Tasks running.

It might have something to do with the Container?

Info 2017/11/12 19:42:15 System col Logs export to ctstation_log.csv
Info 2017/11/12 00:22:17 System system Start Container Station: 1.7.2502
Info 2017/11/11 20:42:56 System system Stop Container Station: 1.7.2502
Error 2017/11/11 01:27:15 System system Update container apps list failed: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>

The Error above is where I turned off the NAS for a couple of hours.

So is the Container Station suppose to be running? Attached are the processes running. Not sure why they are running. Does the hard drive run continually forever?

Anyone help with this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hard Drive Continually Running

Post by dolbyman »

run this

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Hard_drives_spindown_issues

and report...also use the forum search for hints what it could be
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

Thanks for the link. My son also sent it to me and he is coming around tonight so I'll let you know the outcome.
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

My son was here briefly tonight and could not find why the two hard drives beep running. He did a lot of the stuff on the link but I am not really conversant with it.

On thing using resources is the HybridDesk Station but I am unable to turn that off. The pink button says Disable but it does nothing.

I have a stack more screen shots but thought I would start with just one matter.

Anyone know how to turn off the HybridDesk Station?
2017-11-13 (9).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

The hard drives will be worn out soon.

Can I easily reinstall the NAS program and keep my data/files?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the harddrives will be fine

so that program I posted the link for, will produce an output ... post it here..
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

Thanks for your help. I did some screen shots when my son was here last night so hopefully there is something interesting on the attachments. Sorry for the large number of attachments.

I'll have a go at running that link if there is not enough in the attachments.

NAS.png
2017-11-13 (12)yes.png
2017-11-13 (8).png
2017-11-13 (7).png
2017-11-13 (6).png
2017-11-13 (5).png
2017-11-13 (4).png
2017-11-13 (3).png
2017-11-13 (2).png
2017-11-13 (1).png
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

One more.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

copy/paste console output next time ..easier to read than scteenshots

looks like the new hdstation is causing issues ... lots of threads about it ... downgrade to the previous version and contact qnap to complain
Firepowers

Post by Firepowers »

I did fill up half the disk space over two weeks ago. Maybe that is why it has been running all the time but it has been going for two weeks. It was an annoying noise with the disks running hard all the time even though they are good ones but now it has stopped.

Yahoo - I rebooted it on Monday night and that did not fix it but I noticed a small pop up come up in the bottom right corner of Win 10 for half a second and I noticed reboot.

The hard drives have been going full pelt today as usual but after the reboot it is working normally. The hard drives hardly work.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated. But I might have posted a couple of days early as all good now.

Remote access is still good including the two security cameras from a separate security system that come up on my IPhone through the NAS. Pity only two cameras are free and hundreds of dollars to see more.

Another happy customer. :)

Return to “NAS Management”