QNAP on small network within but isolated from larger network

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
ayCaramba
New here

QNAP on small network within but isolated from larger network

Post by ayCaramba »

Hi I am not sure how to even describe the situation but here is my attempt:

I want to set up a TS-451+ using both ports with Port Trunking (LAG) to a Netgear GS108Tv2 switch to then share the NAS with 4 or 5 Mac computers that are connected to a larger network (10 - 15 computers) over wifi.

I thought it would be just a simple matter of setting the devices in the small network with static IPs but that doesn't work as we lose connectivity to the larger network. Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP on small network within but isolated from larger network

Post by dolbyman »

two network cards per PC ?

one for the internet connected network
one for the NAS network
ayCaramba
New here

Post by ayCaramba »

dolbyman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 pm two network cards per PC ?
Unfortunately that's not a possibility. I was thinking more like a VNAS or something but I haven't really managed to get it right
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Can you provide more details. Subnets of both networks. Drawing on how the networks will be connected with router/switches included.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
ayCaramba
New here

Post by ayCaramba »

Don wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 am Can you provide more details. Subnets of both networks. Drawing on how the networks will be connected with router/switches included.
Thanks so much here is the info:
QNAP TS-451+ sets itself to: 169.254.100
Netgear switch GS108Tv2 sets itself to: 192.168.0
Wifi network is on 10.79.104
Ethernet when using DHCP it goes 169.254.204
NASdesiredSETup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so web connection is on wifi (info not given before)

that is basically the same as two network cards .. so activate DHCP server on the NAS and you client NICs will be served an IP they can use
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

First, when troubleshooting network issues use only one network cable from the QNAP and disable trunking.

QNAP has a bad address. If there is no DHCP server on your network then you need to set a static IP.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
ayCaramba
New here

Post by ayCaramba »

Thanks guys for your help. I am back to try to get this working today so would appreciate more support if you find it in you! ;)

I have again tried to set up but I do not find a way of doing it. I give the QNap the static IP IP 192.168.0.100 and make it DHCP with a range of IP 192.168.0.101 to IP 192.168.0.255.
The switch looks for the DHCP and gets IP 192.168.0.101. (Tried static IP for the switch too and set it at the same thing). I give the iMac the IP IP 192.168.0.105 for example and I get access to the other two devices (Only to the settings pages haven't tried accessing the shared folders that way) But what I want id the Port Trunking. If I trunk the switch first I lose the QNap if I set the trunking in the QNap first I can then do it on the Switch but that makes The QNap loose its 'trunked' state. I tried and get the same if all of the devices have a static IP as opposed to having the QNap as DHCP.

I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Ideally I'd like any computer to be immediately able to access the QNap as soon as it is wired with the ethernet cable; thus the QNap assigning IPs is better, but if I have to manually set the IP of every other device, whenever needed, is not the end of the world.

Thanks

Return to “NAS Management”