Post by usefulvid »

Same here.
Error returned.
New Ticket opened. Lets wait a month :?
racketteer
Starting out

Re: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions

Post by racketteer »

After a power failure, my system had the same issue. Vel0x, thank you for posting the great instructions. Followed them, tried the update, got the error "Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later," then rebooted, update successful.

Thanks also to AlFromCochrane for the reboot clue and power outage potential cause.

Daniel
DeVisdude
New here

Post by DeVisdude »

I have the same issue with the auto download. However, when manually updating, all is OK.
Next night I get the same auto download error again...
TS-473
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi

As suggested in the other thread, I have just added a symbolic link and that seems to have improved things, but I'll post back to that thread (where it was initially suggested) in a few days to confirm whether it continues to work (or not).

viewtopic.php?f=345&t=154436&p=759515#p759515

Kind regards to all,
Briain
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
tletourneau
Starting out

Post by tletourneau »

This fixed it for me as well with the McAfee AV updates. Thanks for posting it!
vel0x wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm Had the same issue.
Somehow my default system volume was not set in the config.
Using SSH:

Code: Select all

[/etc/config] # getcfg SHARE_DEF defVolMP -f /etc/config/def_share.info

Fixed it using (you may need to adjust this if you use a different volume as your system volume):

[/etc/config] # setcfg SHARE_DEF defVolMP -f /etc/config/def_share.info /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
After that it looked like this:

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
And the updates started working again after this.
Thanks,
Tom
---------------------
NAS : TVS-871-i7-4790S (upgraded from PT) - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
8x Toshiba 4TB HDWQ140XZSTA - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5; QM2-2P with 2x Samsung 250GB EVO 960 NVMe automatic SSD caching
NAS : TS-963X - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
5x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5, RAID-5; 4x Samsung 120GB SSD automatic SSD caching
GetAGrip
New here

Post by GetAGrip »

Just happened to me, you need admin privilege's to change the setting. If you use the setcfg SHARE_DEF defVolMP -f /etc/config/def_share.info and don't have adequate privilege it will do nothing. Note: I had to use setcfg SHARE_DEF defVolMP -f /etc/config/def_share.info /share/CE_CACHEDEV2_DATA on mine.
MTX
New here

Post by MTX »

Thanks to vel0x and robtihanyi ! Your hints fixed the same issue on my QNAP (setting defVolMP and restarting of Antivirus).
blake
New here

Post by blake »

If you have been having trouble auto-updating AV definitions on an older QNAP NAS, have a look at the 19-Nov-2020 posts in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=345&t=154436&start=45

Stopping all (or most) services, then clicking the button to manually update with the latest AV definition update appears to have worked for at least two TS-219P+ users. However, this doesn't appear to solve the problem once and for all (auto-downloads of future AV definition updates will still fail).
Ragg55
First post

Post by Ragg55 »

This solution worked for me as well, thanks !!

vel0x wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm Had the same issue.
Somehow my default system volume was not set in the config.
Using SSH:

Fixed it using (you may need to adjust this if you use a different volume as your system volume):

[/etc/config] # setcfg SHARE_DEF defVolMP -f /etc/config/def_share.info /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
After that it looked like this:

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
And the updates started working again after this.
RMHud
New here

Post by RMHud »

Just had the same problem occur, definitely due to power failure (I slipped and turned off my UPS while repositioning it, DOH!). After reading this and other blogs, I chose the following and it worked great:

1) reactivated my admin account (you have deactivated your default admin account and created a new administrator, haven't you?)
2) used PuTTY to SSH into the NAS and logged in to the admin account
3) Q, y to get to normal shell
4) cd /etc/config
5) cat def_share.info {here I saw that the last line just read "defVolMP = "}
6) vi def_share.info
7) moved cursor to just after defVolMP =
8) i {as in "insert here" command} /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA {the DEV1 is for Vol1 having the system}
9) <esc>:x
10) exit
11) disabled and enabled Antivirus in NAS Control panel, Applications

Verified that the update happened (mine automatically tries when the app is enabled). It did, so I, 12) disabled the admin account again.

Not as pretty as using getcfg, I guess, but I like to see what is going on; call me old school...
PeteF_123
First post

Post by PeteF_123 »

HI all

I am also having problems with daily failed to update virus definitions errors from clamav and would be grateful of any pointers to help. I have tried most of the options on the thread here and googled also - for example, I have security counsellor and malware remover installed and running, I have tried rebooting the NAS, turning antivirus (and its updates) on and off, deleting the .cvd files and mirrors.dat, and running freshclam from a command prompt but the errors persist.

I have managed to update manually by downloading to another device and then adding the file in via the QNAP interface. I have been able to wget the .cvd files from clamav.net onto the NAS, although oddly that now doesn’t seem to work and returns a 403 error.

Any thoughts much appreciated !

Thanks in advance
Pete
paleosonic
Starting out

Post by paleosonic »

My TS-253A with firmware version 4.5.1 build 2020113 had ClamAV update issues.
[Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. No storage volume detected. Create a new volume.
Also updating it manual gave an error,

Updating to firmware version 4.5.2 build 20210302 fixed the ClamAV update issues.
The defVolMP entry in def_share.info is no longer empty.
neo1983
New here

Post by neo1983 »

Hi guys,

Here what i found that is working, until now at least.

First error that i saw inside /tmp/.freshclam.log it was regarding download errors. Every repository that i had inside /etc/config/freshclam.conf wasn't working at all, here the list:

DatabaseMirror db.local.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror db.ch.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror db.cn.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror db.jp.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net

1) First step was to insert another mirrror that is working in my case ----> DatabaseMirror clamavdb.c3sl.ufpr.br

Do a bkp of original /etc/config/freshclam.conf and modify it with only one line, like this:

DatabaseMirror clamavdb.c3sl.ufpr.br
MaxAttempts 2

Save it and close

2) Now we have to modify antivirus.sh script that is doing main virus update but it is also updaiting mirrors at Qnap startup.

Open /etc/init.d/antivirus.sh

Search for check_env function and put as you see below with new mirrror that we inserted inside point one. WIth this confg you will mantain your mirror inside /etc/config/freshclam.conf

check_env()
{
/bin/echo "DatabaseMirror clamavdb.c3sl.ufpr.br" >> $FRESHCLAM_CONFIG
/bin/echo "MaxAttempts 2" >> $FRESHCLAM_CONFIG

3) Now disable any service that it is using ram and restart your QNAP

4) Once QNAP has been restarted we can start freshclam service avoiding antivirus.sh.

command freshclam -u admin

In this way we will request less resources to QNAP. This is needed in order to avoid ERROR: Database load killed by signal 9
ERROR: Failed to load new database

5) Now run the antivirus.sh script, since major update is completed by freshclam everything should be good

command /etc/init.d/antivirus.sh update_db

now this command should work!

Complete

P.S If you are recieving database error at the end, try to update virus manually from web interface and after you can try to run freshclam script starting from point number one

Hope this will help!!!
Bye
Layer0
First post

Post by Layer0 »

my workakround was since a few days ago, to update the files manually
but since e few days, that is not longer possible due to missing the files at www.clamav.net
in former times i found all 3 important files (daily, main, bytecode .cvd) there, but now, they are away :-(
does anbody know a secondary source?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

For those here with at at-least 1.5GB in their NAS, a ClamAV replacement is available as a virtual package via sherpa. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “NAS Management”