[Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
UNIVAC
New here

Re: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Post by UNIVAC »

OK, So I submitted a ticket and QNAP had a look at my TS-219P+. In my case, there's good news and bad news.
The good news is that QNAP correctly identified that my NAS was running out of memory (RAM & swap). As a workaround, QNAP suggested stopping as many services as I could and then re-running the AV download. I was able to disable/stop enough services, reboot and have about 772MB of RAM & swap available, out of a 1021MB usable RAM and swap (the TS-219P+ is delivered with 512MB RAM). The AV download then took about 5.75 hours to run; I tracked the memory usage periodically and it sure was doing a lot of swapping! At the worst point, I was down to just under 100MB of free memory. Anyhow, the AV download and DB update went to completion and a subsequent AV scan ran fine. I then re-enabled/started the services I had previously disabled/stopped, and rebooted.
And for the bad news:
1. A subsequent run of the AV download failed just as before so, in my case, this issue is a limitation of memory. Going forward, I will have to temporarily stop select services and perform the AV download process manually.
2. I searched these forums on the TS-219P+'s upgradeability re: RAM and swap, plus I queried QNAP about that. The RAM cannot be upgraded. More swap can be configured but QNAP advised me that the configuration would need to be done after every reboot (I didn't confirm that in my QNAP forum search).
Oh well, I've had my TS-219P+ for 8.5 years now and it's worked flawlessly for my little home network, so I can't really complain especially since it's just going out of support at the end of this year. I plan to upgrade to a newer QNAP NAS within the next year.

I hope this helps out someone else,

bryan
blake
New here

Re: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Post by blake »

@Univac: Thank you very much. Stopping services then doing the update worked for my TS-219P+ too, although in my case the update only took about an hour. I'm running a full scan now, but I expect that once I've restarted my services, auto download of the AV file will fail, as in your case. Like you. I've been running my TS-219P+ for quite a few years with no serious hiccups, so I'm not too troubled.

A more serious issue for me is that although Windows 10 machines which have existed on my network for some time can see and interact with the TS-219P+, a new Windows 10 machine recently added to my network can't see or access the TS-219P+ at all. This appears to be a known problem with older QNAP NAS units that don't support QTS 4.3.4 or later, as explained in https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... sion-1709/ although I don't understand why the older Windows 10 machines still work with my QNAP NAS since all of my Windows 10 machines get regular updates.
chalk
Starting out

Post by chalk »

Thank you very much @Univac!

for my 119PII stopping services wasn't enough to allow the update to complete for whatever reason. However, I monitored the RAM consumption by the freshclam process during the update and it really takes up a lot. I am wondering if there might be a bug in the updater. The update worked fine until earlier this year and only then failed constantly. Moreover, the manual update by downloading the cvd file to my computer and importing it to the QNAP by using the web interface works without any issues. I hope QNAP will further monitor your issue report and hopefully resolve it with an update before year's end when the update service is terminated for my NAS.

Thanks again!

Christoph
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hey @tsberry561. :)
tsberry561 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am Here is the output of a "ls -l" command on a TS-131K AFTER running the command:
Off-topic: I have a special request for you. Are you able to provide some additional information from that same TS-131K? I'm looking for TS-x31K owners to help fill-in the blanks on my ARM model database.

If you're able, please run:

Code: Select all

getcfg MISC DISPLAY_NAME -d none -f /etc/platform.conf; getcfg "" Platform -d none -f /etc/platform.conf; uname -m
... then please post the results back here.

Cheers! :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mikedietrich
First post

Post by mikedietrich »

Hi,
I came to this problem on a new TS-453Be where I named the volume DataVol2 even as only 1 volume is installed. I followed the instruction on https://www.qnap.com/de-de/how-to/knowl ... ew-volume/ and it worked, the database was updated.

May be this helps some one
Mike
Shrizt
New here

Post by Shrizt »

I had my antivirus no longer updated (TS-469PRO), and got a reply from techsupport:

Code: Select all

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:01 AM QNAP Noreply <noreply@qnap.com> wrote:
																									 																																								 																QNAP Technical Support has updated the support ticket Q-202104-00252. To check this ticket, go to QNAP Customer Portal . A preview of the updated ticket is shown below:@@@

Hello,

Thank you for contacting QNAP. 

ClamAV had changed download engine for the antivirus database since March 2021 ,and removed the .cvd files download link from website as well. This resulted in QNAP NAS with firmware versions 4.3.6 and older will not able to update the antivirus definition manually or automatically, as they are still using the previous download engine.

For legacy models where the Firmware update has reached end of life, update for the ClamAV antivirus definition would no longer be possible. In this case, we would recommend you to use alternative antivirus apps such as McAfee (license purchase is required) if it is available on your NAS model.

We appreciate your understanding, and if you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards,
						Van
It is quite surprising politic from QNAP, I have 2 options: no antivirus or paid subscription starting March 2021...
gorillale
Getting the hang of things

Post by gorillale »

same on me :( , clamav is dead !!! R.I.P ClamAv

my old TS-439 works fine an i will not buy a new qnap to save resources....
not understand what all this pp doing... and all for the f... "mamon"...
kind regards $$$$$$
TS-439 pro 4.2.6 (out of updates, R.I.P)
SebastianKiwacz
First post

Post by SebastianKiwacz »

: S.
Strange...my old, supposedly unsupported qnap 112 has the firmware from 2020 and the daily or main files since long time without any problems I update manualy :mrgreen:

Today for test's as it impossible I did update again on April 6, 2021 files from 7:06 am accepted correctly...

Anyway, the main.cvd file can be obtained from link mirrors, there is no provided on web clamAV...fact ... just read the instructions for the new clamAV and it's possible...
gorillale

Post by gorillale »

I tried this guide, unfortunately it doesn't work.
And no qpk is made available either. In addition, Qnap
removed all AV files from the download.
And I'm not exactly the Unix Gruru either, and with a few sayings as instructions it is probably not enough, especially since precise instructions are completely missing. In any case, I haven't found this one.
Everything opaque and unfinished ...
Very bad for qnap to leave all users out in the rain ...
The only thing that Qnap is still interested in is generating more money and using more resources.
People who want to save resources don't count anymore.
Very sad the whole thing.

R.I.P CLAM AV
Shrizt
New here

Post by Shrizt »

Direct links still working:
http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
but, clamav changed the update engine and soon it may disappear.

I went further asking:
Hello again,

Does it mean that other standard apps from qnap store also may be not updated and become vulnerable to new found breaches? Is it mean i just need to throw my NAS away to feel secured?
and the support replied:
I apologize for any inconvenience but as it stands, since your model is EOL then updates and support is limited. Just as a suggestion, you may want to consider purchasing a new unit that is not EOL.
Nice huh?
gorillale

Post by gorillale »

HI
Thank you for help, i found this to on 1. google and today on 2. german qnap forum.

I only can manual update, automatic is no more working for many months.
but for me is this ok with the links.

cvupdate i cant install on qnap.

Thank you
regards :D
Andi_edd_Smith
First post

Post by Andi_edd_Smith »

Hello people
I recently got hit by the Ransomware attack (NOT A HAPPY BUNNY)
so i have been in correspondence with the support team. i asked why i was unable to update the virus scanner and the fact you can no longer download the updates and manually upload it to your QNAP.
I Have copied the response below. it did answer a lot of questions. it did not help much though!!!

"The default Antivirus program (ClamAV) in NAS will not scan malware or ransomware, it will scan for virus.
Unfortunately, ClamAV had changed download engine for the antivirus database since March 2021, and removed the .cvd files download link from website as well. This resulted in QNAP NAS with firmware versions 4.3.6 and older will not able to update the antivirus definition manually or automatically, as they are still using the previous download engine.

For legacy models such as TS-412 where the Firmware update has reached end of life, update for the ClamAV antivirus definition would no longer be possible. In this case, we would recommend you to use alternative antivirus apps such as McAfee (license purchase is required) if it is available on your NAS model.
For TS-412, there is no McAfee app in App Center.

Below URL is information regarding EOL policy of ClamAV (see lower part).
https://www.clamav.net/documents/end-of-life-policy-eol"
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ClamAV would have not protected you here...as QNAP stated

It's an on demand scanner for your userfiles..not an always on system scanner
Shrizt
New here

Post by Shrizt »

Andi_edd_Smith wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 pm Hello people
I recently got hit by the Ransomware attack (NOT A HAPPY BUNNY)
so i have been in correspondence with the support team. i asked why i was unable to update the virus scanner and the fact you can no longer download the updates and manually upload it to your QNAP.
I Have copied the response below. it did answer a lot of questions. it did not help much though!!!
Hello Andy,
That's why I will never purchase QNAP again and never recommend to my surrounding.
For the moment links which I published above with .cvd files still available and you may update you antivirus manually.
gverweijen
New here

Post by gverweijen »

Is there no way to manually update the ClamAV scanner on the older qnap models?

Return to “NAS Management”