[Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
sabotoz
First post

Re: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Post by sabotoz »

I have a TS-439. It is very old.
I have been manually download the following 3 CLAMAV virus definitions about once every mth.
The URL to download is:
https://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
https://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
https://database.clamav.net/bytecode.cvd

Steps to manual upload the definitions are:
--------------------------------------------------
1) Download & save the 3 CLAMAV virus definition files to a network folder.
2) Login to my TS-439. Go to the "Antivirus/Overview" TAB.
3) Go to "Manual Update" row. Click on BROWSE to find the "main.cvd" file. Then "IMPORT" that file.
4) Click on BROWSE to find the "daily.cvd" file. Then "IMPORT" that file.
5) Click on BROWSE to find the "bytecode.cvd" file. Then "IMPORT" that file.
6) Then go up the screen & check that date of Virus Definitions has changed to the date of the uploaded definitions.

However, this does not update the actual CLAMAV antivirus program itself.

The below URL https://www.clamav.net/download.html#otherversions contains CLAMAV latest LINUX version programs. But QNAP Operating System is a customised ver of LINUX. I don't think it is UNBUNTU, not DEBIAN.

Has any one with LINUX system admin expertise successfully upgraded their CLAMAV program from the CLAMAV website. If so, can U share your expertise if non-sysadmin users?

thanks
aesculus
Easy as a breeze

Re: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Update definitions manually, or try again later.

Post by aesculus »

I noticed today that the virus definitions had not updated since 2/3/22 and requesting an update resulted in this message.

It take a number of minutes before it fails so something is happening. On FW 5.0.0.1891

Using the file access as above to get the cvd files and manually importing them did seem to work ok. Will have to monitor why the auto update is failing via the QNAP.
Chris
paleosonic
Starting out

Post by paleosonic »

Still on 4.5.2.1594 and the virus update is failing since 1 februari 2022
I managed to download the files by hand from the ClamAV website on 3 februari, though these files are now no longer available!
I guess ClamAV has changed the path to the virus definitions and there is no intelligent fallback to keep the scanner up-to-date.
We might as well turn this virusscanner off to prevent a false sense of security!
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

The update functino is failing on my TVS.872XT as well, and I downloaded the latest DAILY.CVD from the site. Thx for the links...
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
wolvyreen
Starting out

Post by wolvyreen »

This is why it's failing....Clamav no longer supports the WGET function apparently:

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... gacy-model
ClamAV updated its server security policy which doesn't allow the old version of the antivirus engine to download virus definitions, so the automatic definition update function in legacy models stops working.
its_Tricky83
New here

Post by its_Tricky83 »

wolvyreen wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 am This is why it's failing....Clamav no longer supports the WGET function apparently:

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... gacy-model
ClamAV updated its server security policy which doesn't allow the old version of the antivirus engine to download virus definitions, so the automatic definition update function in legacy models stops working.
Good find.
I hope QNAP are aware of this and release new firmware rectifying this issue ASAP.
Bugs me that built in Antivirus doesn't work as suggested, and that pesky link in Antivirus to upgrade to McAfee Antivirus is annoying too considering it's a third party app that does sweet fa without buying a licensed!
itooth
Starting out

not able to update CLAM antivirus software

Post by itooth »

I no longer am able to update the default QNAP CLAMAV software.

When I attempt a manual update of the CLAM antivirus software I get a message stating "update failed".

Anyone know why?
Thank you in advance!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lousyfool
Getting the hang of things

Re: not able to update CLAM antivirus software

Post by lousyfool »

OneCD
Guru

Re: not able to update CLAM antivirus software

Post by OneCD »

lousyfool wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:23 am See viewtopic.php?f=345&t=154436
* topics merged *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rpfleging
Starting out

Post by rpfleging »

Just posting the same issue in case anyone is doing a head count. Has anyone filed a ticket?
Bigserver
New here

Post by Bigserver »

Filed ticket yesterday (Feb 12, 2022)
Tex260Z
Starting out

Post by Tex260Z »

You will find the answer here: [https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... gacy-model]
Basically QNAP decided it was too hard, so much for looking after your customers.
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

Not quite the right answer. This is happening on new models as well - my TVS-872XT is certainly not a legacy model yet…
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
Bitrudeuk
Starting out

Post by Bitrudeuk »

Seems like the issue has finally been fixed!

My virus definition is now showing as 17/2 4.25am :D

I'm on FW 5.0.0.1932. I had thought this recent update was what was causing the issue... :S
Andrea1978
Starting out

Post by Andrea1978 »

This bug is very annoying. I have a QNAP TS-251D which is a recent model and I often get a notification that the antivirus has not been updated.
In this period it is not even possible to update manually by clicking on update now. Maybe you should manually download the updated definitions, but I haven't even tried.

Currently the latest virus definition is February 17, 2022 at 4:25 am
Already this morning I received the notification of failure to update! Very annoying! Does anyone know why?

Return to “NAS Management”