[Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
triplex67
First post

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by triplex67 »

Hi,
i'm new here and my english is very poor....
But i've the same problem.
I wrote to QNAP support,
here the answer :

"Thank you for contacting QNAP support.
Unfortunately the NAS model TS-228, is end of life, and there are no firmware and application updates since 2018-12, except for security purposes, you can see more about it at the link below. limited support will end on 2021-12.
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php
Please, I suggest trying to reinstall the firmware, follow the link below to download the image and you can do it through Qfinder, in Tools> Update Firmware. If it does not solve the problem, I suggest backing up your data off the NAS and when you are done, try to initialize the NAS from scratch to reconfigure everything again.
I'm sorry to have to tell you that the NAS is no longer supported.
Please, if you need any further assistance in this case, write to me again when you wish or open a new case for a new support request with a different question.
Thanks."

i don't want to reset my backups, need another way to reinstall the antivirus, otherwise i will buy another NAS (or made a DIY)
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by FSC830 »

This is of course a very annoying issue, but to be honest:

Antivirus search at the NAS can only be the last line of defense!
How ist data written on the NAS? By clients!
The clients should be properly configured with an antivirus software using latest engine and definitions.
If virus is detected at NAS, it is may be (much) to late :wink: .

And the best way to avoid virus in LAN is: use your brain!
Think about, prior opening unknown mails/attachments and accessing suspicous web sites!
Dont allow any software to open ports itself, use VPN for accessing LAN if you are not at home, ....

So antivirus at NAS is a nice gimmick, but not more....

Just my 2 cents!

Regards

P.S. All of my NAS are affected by this!
DjGuana
Getting the hang of things

Post by DjGuana »

same problem for me with my TS-659 Pro+ running latest firmware 4.2.6
Model : TS-659 Pro
Serial Number : NBUCA050040BC01
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

sunkarv wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:26 am Hi Joel, if wget is restricted and what is the alternative solution. We don't want to use freshclam. We do have an architecture, we do have 5 different instances where ClamAV installed and we do have a centralized server where we are currently downloading the virus definition using WGET. And we are pushing the latest definition to all our ClamAV instances. We want to have a consistent definition in all ClamAV instances.
if by "consistent" you mean you want to have it outdated on all instances, you have it now.

But it should be better to have some instances behind than all of them.

Downloading whole mail/daily package via wget makes traffic equivalent to ~11000 clients downloading cdifs.

You can download the database into any device using freshclam (and thus save clamav's bandwidth) and distribute data from there.

You can set up private mirror that will download cdifs (and thus save clamav's bandwidth) and point freshclam instances to it:
https://pypi.org/project/cvdupdate/0.1.0/
https://github.com/micahsnyder/cvdupdate
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

jamieburchell wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:31 am Seems like I need to stop using ClamAV. That's one way to reduce traffic to the mirrors.
on TS-228 with 0.5 GB of RAM ClamAV is prety useless, since it needs about 3x more.
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
janpolet
Easy as a breeze

Post by janpolet »

fantomas wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:52 pm Hi gyus
looking at https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php#

TS-669
TS-469L
TS-869 Pro
are all out of support, apparently with old clamav version installed.
That is a real shame.
Have a 469L here. :(

Not happy at all.
Maybe this falls, or can fall, under the "security" part of the updates that are still being released for EOL products?
MAIN NAS: QNAP TS-453D 8Gb | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128 | 4 x 4Tb Seagate IronWolf Pro (ST4000NE001) in RAID5
BACKUP NAS: QNAP TS-469L | FW: QTS 4.3.4.2451 build 20230621 | 4 x 3Tb Seagate Constellation ES.3 (ST3000NM0033) in RAID5
FIRST NAS: QNAP TS-439 PRO | FW: QTS 4.2.6 build 20230621 | 4 x 1Tb Hitachi/Samsung in RAID5
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

It seems, that security support in QNAP does not include publishing new ClamAV versions.
The solutions could be
- migrating to alternative firmware
- getting ClamAV by other means (entware + opkg seem to contain clamav 0.102.4)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

fantomas wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:33 pm - getting ClamAV by other means (entware + opkg seem to contain clamav 0.102.4)
Recent testing suggests it only works on NAS with 1.5GB RAM or-more. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MatthewFIU
Starting out

Post by MatthewFIU »

JoelEsler wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:15 am Hello. Joel from ClamAV here. It has become necessary to restrict wget based clients, so that’s why wget isn’t working. Freshclam may not be working because you’re running an old version of ClamAV. If you’re older than 0.100, then your version is EOL and ClamAV needs to be updated.
Is there any sense in manually downloading the three files and then using the QNAP manual update option to import each one? It doesn't throw an error if I import each of the following files individually, but it'd be helpful to know if that actually does anything useful.

http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
http://database.clamav.net/bytecode.cvd
janpolet
Easy as a breeze

Post by janpolet »

MatthewFIU wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am
Is there any sense in manually downloading the three files and then using the QNAP manual update option to import each one? It doesn't throw an error if I import each of the following files individually, but it'd be helpful to know if that actually does anything useful.

http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
http://database.clamav.net/daily.cvd
http://database.clamav.net/bytecode.cvd
It seems the links to these files were removed from the download section at clamav.net.

I hope the files will still be available and working though.
MAIN NAS: QNAP TS-453D 8Gb | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128 | 4 x 4Tb Seagate IronWolf Pro (ST4000NE001) in RAID5
BACKUP NAS: QNAP TS-469L | FW: QTS 4.3.4.2451 build 20230621 | 4 x 3Tb Seagate Constellation ES.3 (ST3000NM0033) in RAID5
FIRST NAS: QNAP TS-439 PRO | FW: QTS 4.2.6 build 20230621 | 4 x 1Tb Hitachi/Samsung in RAID5
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Not sure if those in this topic are aware: I've recently created a new ClamAV package for installation via sherpa. It upgrades the internal QTS ClamAV by replacing the binaries with those from Entware.

The only restriction is your NAS must have at-least 1.5GB RAM for ClamAV to run.

It's been tried on NAS with 1GB installed and another with 512MB installed, and doesn't work (hangs indefinitely while checking the downloaded database definition file). :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

If you follow the links (specially the 1st link in post#26 from fantomas) it is absolutely easy to setup your own database mirror from which the QNAPs can get the daily.cvd file.
Only thing you need is to run a Linux pc (raspberry Pi or VM) and edit the /etc/config/freshclam.conf at NAS.
Works without any issue.

Note that there is a minor bug in the linked web site: command to download the latest files is not "python3 -m cvd update" but "python3 -m cvdupdate update"!

Regards
DazOG
New here

Post by DazOG »

OneCD wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 pm Not sure if those in this topic are aware: I've recently created a new ClamAV package for installation via sherpa. It upgrades the internal QTS ClamAV by replacing the binaries with those from Entware.

The only restriction is your NAS must have at-least 1.5GB RAM for ClamAV to run.

It's been tried on NAS with 1GB installed and another with 512MB installed, and doesn't work (hangs indefinitely while checking the downloaded database definition file). :(
Hi,

I installed sherpa, upgraded ClamAV from the CLI (sherpa upgrade ClamAV) and it completed without error. I even restarted it (sherpa restart ClamAV). I am still unable to update any definitions from within the QNAP GUI, it just gives the same error message as it has done for the past ~15 days.

Any ideas what I've done wrong here?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I dont know the sherpa solution, but may be you will see more if are running the update from CLI.
Lookup in crontab (crontab -l) the command for updating.
In my QTS its

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/antivirus.sh update_db
, viewing

/etc/init.d/antivirus.sh
you will find a command, usually

/usr/local/bin/freshclam -u admin -l /tmp/.freshclam.log

When running this command

/usr/local/bin/freshclam -u admin -l /tmp/.freshclam.log
you (hopefully) will see the error.

Regards
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

DazOG wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:52 pm I installed sherpa, upgraded ClamAV from the CLI (sherpa upgrade ClamAV) and it completed without error. I even restarted it (sherpa restart ClamAV). I am still unable to update any definitions from within the QNAP GUI, it just gives the same error message as it has done for the past ~15 days.

Any ideas what I've done wrong here?
Yes, you must "install" the ClamAV QPKG. You're not literally "upgrading" it as it hasn't been installed yet. The one built into QTS is not a QPKG. ;)

Use this instead:

sherpa install clamav
Then, logout your QTS UI session (if it was open in your web-browser), and login again.

Return to “NAS Management”