[Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
Superdoop
Starting out

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by Superdoop »

Virtualization apps have been revoked from QTS 4.2.6, so its not possible to drum up a VM/container etc..which is clearly the right approach..

Its a calculated risk but as its EOL, there wont be any additional QTS firmware patches.

Once AV & malware are fully working, I wont applying any new apps anyway, so its safe as long as I don't apply anything else. thanks for noting that :-)

I purchased it to migrate away from my WD NAS which is on its last legs after 12 years.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by FSC830 »

Just noticed: /etc/config/freshclam.conf is rewritten every time (or at least checked) when antivirus.sh is running.
So you need to edit the shell script as well to be on safe side, I added this in my previous post which describes the setup.

Regards
Superdoop
Starting out

Post by Superdoop »

The app is removed after reboot ... which complicates matters..

The point here is to download the AV content via alternative means and for the firmware to accept it's satisfied with the update. I managed to do that this evening, created a bash script whereby It simply installs the software, executes it and downloads the latest AV content where the firmware expects it and no DNS config is required. When you select 'manual update' in the GUI, it says 'Update Complete'.

So now, the question is to include it in the auto-startup routine. I'm looking into that now.

--
[/share/MD0_DATA/entware/cvdupdate] # more download_cvd_content.sh

#!/bin/bash
#Goto free storage space
cd /share/MD0_DATA/entware/cvdupdate

#Install cvdupdate that is removed on reboot
python -m pip install --user /share/MD0_DATA/./Download/cvdupdate-0.3.0.tar.gz

#Set cvdupdate location to AV system location
python -m cvdupdate config set --dbdir /share/MD0_DATA/.antivirus/usr/share/clamav

#Run update to download all content files
python -m cvdupdate update

--
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

@QNAP_Stephane has also just released a ClamAV QPKG. Image

It's available in the Qnapclub store: https://qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/1091

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Superdoop
Starting out

Post by Superdoop »

Thanks for the heads-up OneCd.

Unfortunately, my firmware is just just below the minimum required for this package.

--------
[App Center] Failed to install QClamAV . Upgrade QTS to 4.3.0 or a newer compatible version.
--------

I'll get there in the end....eventually.

Ty
dj-hans
New here

Post by dj-hans »

Hi all,
i have the same issue. I have a TS559Pro+ and it is EOL. My OS is 4.26 and the qpkg is only for 4.3 and above. Is there a change to get this installed on my device?

dj-hans
Seqway
First post

Post by Seqway »

Hi all,
i have TS-421 and have the same issue:

[Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

What exactly can I do so that my virus definition is again updated ?
Superdoop
Starting out

Post by Superdoop »

I have this working but give me a week or so to be be absolutely sure (reboots/schedules etc) :mrgreen:

It's important to understand that all I'm doing here is making sure the virus definitions are updated via a different route.

Its in five parts:

(a) You need to be able initiate an AV update on boot. Autorun.sh is the solution, info posted here (https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your ... at_Startup)
(b) You need to be able to use python3 to extract, install, update AV content using cvd update. Full info here (https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki ... n-QNAP-NAS). BETTER TO USE via the QNAP Store
(c) create a bash script to execute cvd update using phyton3
(d) Add the bash script to autorun.sh
(e) check system AV via the console, select 'Update Now' on [online update] option to respond with status = 'Update complete'
quantum28
Starting out

Post by quantum28 »

so appreciative of the collective efforts here!
I have a qnap 212 so its EOL as well.
Is there any hope of a user friendly, GUI way to do the updates?
I don't mind the manually uploading the cvd files to the qnap management interface if i really have to, but prefer not to have to setup a proxy with any amount of coding (prefer = beyond my ability with my current time contraints :lol: )
Superdoop
Starting out

Post by Superdoop »

I'm afraid not.

I raised it directly with Cisco Support (owners of ClamAV) and just to update AV content is not enough, you need to upgrade its engine as well and that is the problem.

If you want to stick with ClamAV, try ClamAV QPKG but requires QTS 4.3 as the minimum. Otherwise best to use alternative, try McAfee trial license...

I managed to get latest clamAV working via command line, latest engine and content but its coded and tricky. Had I known earlier, probably would have done it another way...
umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa »

OneCD wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:09 am @QNAP_Stephane has also just released a ClamAV QPKG. Image

It's available in the Qnapclub store: https://qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/1091
Thank you very much for this - my TS869pro is fixed.
Still looking for a solution for my TS412 and TS859pro.

Ump..

Edit: - the update keeps failing - not sure why.
1x TS-412 3x WD2003YYS (Enterprise) 1x WD20EFRX (Green) [Raid 0]
1x TS-412 3x WDC ED30EFRX (Red) 1X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-412 2x WD20EZRX (GREEN) & 2x WD20EARS (Green) [Raid 5]
1x TS-859pro 4x WD30EFRX (RED) & 4X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-869pro 8X HGST HDS724040ALE640 - (DeskTop) [Raid 5]
1x WDSharespace 4xWDC WD2003YYS (Enterprise) [Raid 0] - The worst NAS I have ever owned.
5x WD MybookWorld White light Edition (Which are fitted with WD Green drives as standard) also rubbish
McBride
Know my way around

Post by McBride »

Cool. My TS-469 Pro just got an update with two security fixes, but QNAP couldn’t be bothered to fix this issue, one or the other way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Austria est imperare orbi universo
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

Seqway wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:30 pm Hi all,
i have TS-421 and have the same issue:

[Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

What exactly can I do so that my virus definition is again updated ?
1. your NAS is old, unsupported by QNAP and the installed ClamAV version is unsupported by ClamAV
2. your NAS only has 1GB of RAM, while ClamAV needs more than that, at least 1.5GB has been reported as useful minimum.

for the rest, please browse this thread.
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

McBride wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 am Cool. My TS-469 Pro just got an update with two security fixes, but QNAP couldn’t be bothered to fix this issue, one or the other way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Austria est imperare orbi universo
I guess there is no one solution to this issue. For what it's worth though, just today I was updating an old TS-219PII that went to a friend a couple of years ago and noticed the same issue. It turned out that there were a couple of update folders in /share/MD0_DATA/.antivirus/usr/clamav with a [hash].tmp format it wasn't able to process. So I manually deleted those and checked /tmp for the FRESHCLAM_CONFIG.lock (apparently that did not get cleaned up properly after a failed update). After removing those I was able to manually import the latest main.cvd from clamav.net

Hope that helps.

ps. I checked my old TS-809 as well and sure enough it didn't update either. That one however just accepted the manual import without any cleaning up of old imports and lock file.
lasthours
Starting out

Post by lasthours »

fantomas wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:46 pm
1. your NAS is old, unsupported by QNAP and the installed ClamAV version is unsupported by ClamAV
2. your NAS only has 1GB of RAM, while ClamAV needs more than that, at least 1.5GB has been reported as useful minimum.

for the rest, please browse this thread.
If I asked the same Q about the TS-212 would the answer also be the same? ie too old to be any use anymore?

thx

Return to “NAS Management”