[Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
gutted
Starting out

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by gutted »

I'm not a regular contributor here, so please excuse me if I make any etiquette errors. I appear to have got freshclam working again on my TS-469 Pro (QTS 4.3.4.1652). Having read through several threads on this, it seems I should point out that I installed some extra RAM in my NAS - I've got ~3GB in mine.

I don't know how long it will last, but here are the steps I followed.

Manually installed an updated ClamAV qpkg from here
Using SSH, ran the updated freshclam (from /opt/ClamAV/bin - initially it complained about ca-certificates.crt, so I needed to download a new bundle from here - I put that into /etc/ssl/certs/ and renamed it as ca-certificates.crt
Manual freshclam (using SSH) then worked from /opt/ClamAV/bin and I retrieved updated definition files (and then I could manually run /opt/ClamAV/bin/clamscan from SSH)
Copied the updated definition files from /opt/ClamAV/DB into the shipped version clamav working directory (in my case it#s /share/MD0_DATA/.antivirus/usr/share/clamav )

The update now runs successfully from QTS now, too - I don't know if it'll last as I guess the clamav launched from QTS still the old version (/usr/local/bin ) rather than the one I instaled from qpkg. For that matter I'm not even sure how the update works from QTS, but it does, so I'm counting my blessings for now.

EDIT: Dang. That was fairly short-lived. Updates failing again now :(
lpwevers
New here

Re: [Open] TS-669 p Antivirus Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manua

Post by lpwevers »

FSC830 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 am
Superdoop wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:30 pm If the instructions were clearer
Here we go... (if you have already any Linux running, no matter if VM or physical)

Download and install cvdupdate,
Add two lines to crontab (only an example, modify your preferred time and paths for database download/web server root directory):

Code: Select all

0 23 * * * python3 -m cvdupdate update
15 23 * * * cp -r  ~/.cvdupdate/database/* /var/www/html
Edit /etc/init.d/antivirus.sh and add following line (search for "DatabaseMirror" in script to get the location):

/bin/echo "DatabaseMirror myhost.mydomain.my" >> $FRESHCLAM_CONFIG
Add a line in NAS /etc/config/freshclam.conf (again an example, modify your hostname and domain as needed)
You must use a FQDN, it will not work using the IP!
Make sure, that FQDN can be resolved from NAS, myhost.mydomain.my is the host you installed the cvdupdate package and add the cronjobs.

DatabaseMirror myhost.mydomain.my
You are done.

Regards
Thanks for this. Works like a charm, with only one little issue. Every time I reboot the NAS my antivirus.sh gets overwritten. (Seems fair as it's loaded into the ramdisk). Is there a way to make this change permanent?

Also, for those of you who run into the same issue, I've setup the cvdupdate on my public webserver, feel free to use it if you don't have the expertise or system available to run the cvdupdate script. You can access it at clamav.wevers.tv

Regards,
Louis.
fantomas
Experience counts

Post by fantomas »

[wiki][/wiki]
lasthours wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 am
fantomas wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:46 pm
1. your NAS is old, unsupported by QNAP and the installed ClamAV version is unsupported by ClamAV
2. your NAS only has 1GB of RAM, while ClamAV needs more than that, at least 1.5GB has been reported as useful minimum.

for the rest, please browse this thread.
If I asked the same Q about the TS-212 would the answer also be the same? ie too old to be any use anymore?

thx
because TS-212 only has 256MB of RAM, the answer is yes, too.
The NAS is usable. Just not for ClamAV.
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...
lasthours
Starting out

Post by lasthours »

ty fantomas. I concluded that in the end. I managed to run malware remover so not all bad. time to ditch the NAS and get a new one. Shame though, disks are relatively lightly used. 2 WD Red 3TB 5400 6gb xfer- WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 - I wonder if I can re-use those in a new NAS unit or are they old and creaky nowadays?
kurgies
New here

Post by kurgies »

Any further updates on this issue?

I note my device has also been suffering updates failures (....manual upload etc) since March '21.
MrCheese
Starting out

Post by MrCheese »

I am using the built in QNAP Anti-Virus application.
For a short while now it has not updated the virus definitions.
Error logged: [Antivirus] Failed to update virus definitions. Please try again later or update the definitions manually.
I tried the link provided to Clamav, but not able to find *.cvd file to download.
Hoping to find some assistance on how to fix the virus definitions update.
Model: TS-469 Pro
Firmware: 4.3.4.1652 Build 20210414
Thanks.
billcsho
First post

Post by billcsho »

The same thing happened to my TS-231 which I only used for internal backup. I have 2 other QNAP that serve files internally and externally. Now I set the TS-231 to allow only internal access and forget about the antivirus as the files would be scanned in the other QNAP before weekly backup into the TS-231.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Make sure non of your NAS are exposed to WAN or you will find yourself hacked sooner or later
mia19977
First post

Post by mia19977 »

It looks like there is no easy solution for this issue. There is no update either automatically or manually.
According QNAP support, they will not do anything for eol products and they just leave all old clients in the cold. It is very irresponsible for a company to do that.
Here I would like to remind those potential buyers that this is QNAP's normal practice. After a product was sold in the market for a few years, they just declare eol of the products and walk away.

Angry customers
volvog
New here

Post by volvog »

I have successfully setup my Raspi as described by FSC830.
My QNAP 469 is downloading the files from the Raspi, but i get warnings (cli_ndecode: value out of range) and errors (Incorrect digital signature)...

[/etc/init.d] # freshclam -u admin -v
Current working dir is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.antivirus/usr/share/clamav
Max retries == 2
ClamAV update process started at Wed Jun 30 17:38:33 2021
Using IPv6 aware code
Querying current.cvd.clamav.net
TTL: 307
Software version from DNS: 0.103.3
WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.3 Recommended version: 0.103.3
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cvd version from DNS: 59
main.cvd is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
daily.cvd version from DNS: 26217
Retrieving http://db.myraspi.net/daily-26217.cdiff
Trying to download http://db.myraspi.net/daily-26217.cdiff (IP: 192.168.10.60)
Downloading daily-26217.cdiff [100%]
WARNING: [LibClamAV] cli_ndecode: value out of range
ERROR: cdiff_apply: Incorrect digital signature
ERROR: getpatch: Can't apply patch
WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
Whitelisting short-term blacklisted mirrors
Retrieving http://db.myraspi.net/daily.cvd
Trying to download http://db.myraspi.net/daily.cvd (IP: 192.168.10.60)
Downloading daily.cvd [100%]
WARNING: [LibClamAV] cli_cvdparse: Not a CVD file
ERROR: Verification: Broken or not a CVD file
Any ideas?
Many thanks.
mike442
First post

Post by mike442 »

Hello,

First time poster, I found this thread after a google search on this issue and registered because of it. I've also been getting the "can't update definitions" error on my TS-419P II since March. My firmware version is 4.3.3.1677. 512MB of RAM.

I was able to follow @Superdoop 's instructions to manually update the main.cd, daily.cvd, and bytecode.cvd files. SSH into the NAS run run freshclam - admin reports:

WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.99.3 Recommended version: 0.103.3
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
main.cvd is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
daily.cvd is up to date (version: 26216, sigs: 3992662, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 333, sigs: 92, f-level: 63, builder: awillia2

I tried following OneCD 's instructions to install the ARM version of this package: https://qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/1091

However it fails with the error message "[App Center] Failed to install QClamAV (MUSL) 0.103.2. You must first install and enable MUSL_CROSS".

I'm pretty new to QNAP and my google searches aren't turning up a whole lot. Any idea what this is and how I install it? Is it this? https://www.qnapclub.eu/fr/qpkg/1098 It looks like there is a cost for this package. Worth buying or or am I going to be unable to update due to my limited RAM?

Edit: I found the hardware manual here: http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/TechnicalDo ... al_ENG.pdf

Looks like I may be able to upgrade that to 3GB. So if I upgrade the RAM, and buy the "MUSL_CROSS" package, do you think I can update the AV?

Sorry for all the questions, LOL. Thanks!
MrCheese
Starting out

Post by MrCheese »

I must say I am a bit surprised by this issue. I have higher expectations for QNAP than this.
I have now come a across several models having the same issue.
All the affected models have had Firmware updates in the last few months, so would have expected the problem to maybe get fixed.
If QNAP does not want to support Clam AV anymore, then they should have removed Clam AV in one of these recent firmware updates?
If this feature is unable to work anymore, I would have at least expected to have the ability to easily obtain the CVD file to download and install manually.
I have not been able to find any CVD files to download from the Clam AV website.
I may try contact QNAP support on this problem when I get the time, and then post any results of this.
hdogg007
New here

Post by hdogg007 »

lpwevers wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:17 am
Thanks for this. Works like a charm, with only one little issue. Every time I reboot the NAS my antivirus.sh gets overwritten. (Seems fair as it's loaded into the ramdisk). Is there a way to make this change permanent?

Also, for those of you who run into the same issue, I've setup the cvdupdate on my public webserver, feel free to use it if you don't have the expertise or system available to run the cvdupdate script. You can access it at clamav.wevers.tv

Regards,
Louis.
My workaround for this was to have my internal DNS resolver (pfSense) resolve db.local.clamav.net to my local Raspberry Pi IP Address. My NAS is already using my local resolver, so there really wasn't anything to configure on the NAS for me, but if you're using external DNS, you'd need to change that. Other than that, FSC's script works well.

This may not work for other users if they use clamav for any other servers (using the same DNS resolver).
Kngstnguy
Starting out

Post by Kngstnguy »

FSC830 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:04 pm This is of course a very annoying issue, but to be honest:

Antivirus search at the NAS can only be the last line of defense!
How ist data written on the NAS? By clients!
The clients should be properly configured with an antivirus software using latest engine and definitions.
If virus is detected at NAS, it is may be (much) to late :wink: .

And the best way to avoid virus in LAN is: use your brain!
Think about, prior opening unknown mails/attachments and accessing suspicous web sites!
Dont allow any software to open ports itself, use VPN for accessing LAN if you are not at home, ....

So antivirus at NAS is a nice gimmick, but not more....

Just my 2 cents!

Regards

P.S. All of my NAS are affected by this!
With all due respect, not all viruses affect all OS's, so, say, an antivirus engine on a Windows or Mac machine might (probably won't) detect a virus or trojan that would affect a Linux OS - which is what QNAPs are based on.
TVS-872X: 2x1TB WD Red NVMe, 2x1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD Cache, 4x4TB WD Red, 4x4TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro, 64GB Ram
TS-h1887XU-RP: 2x1TB WD Red NVMe, 6x12TB WD Red, 2x1TB Crucial SSD Cache, 128GB Ram
RAID is not a backup!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

mike442 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:09 am Looks like I may be able to upgrade that to 3GB. So if I upgrade the RAM, and buy the "MUSL_CROSS" package, do you think I can update the AV?
No, the TS-419PII has a fixed 512MB RAM that cannot be replaced or upgraded. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “NAS Management”