Working alternative antivirus solution for NAS models with less than 1.5 GB of RAM?

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
bseesing
New here

Working alternative antivirus solution for NAS models with less than 1.5 GB of RAM?

Post by bseesing »

My backup machine is an 8 year old TS-221 in perfect working condition, running firmware 4.3.3.1432 Build 20201006. Since about two weeks the built-in Antivirus refuses to automatically download the daily virus definitions. Doing some research, I found out that the built-in CLAM AV antivirus engine is end-of-life and thus actively blocked from downloading updates.

Following the information on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=345&t=159990) I found out that I have a problem, since my TS-221 only has 1 GB of RAM. Clam AV nowadays requires at least 1.5 GB of RAM to run, and so does the Sherpa / Clam AV solution mentioned in the other topic.

Manual updates do work (I download the definition files here http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/58/27/), but are not a viable option for my remote machines. And there is no alternative virus scanner available in the App Center for the TS-221. Thus I opened a support ticket to request an updated firmware with an updated virus engine.

QNAP confirmed that they will not release an updated firmware for my TS-221 given the system requirements of Clam AV and the EOL status of the TS-221. They recommend to use alternative antivirus apps such as McAfee if available on my NAS model. My response that there is no alternative app available in the App Center for my TS-221 went unanswered.

Therefore this question for the community: Does anybody know of a working alternative antivirus solution for the TS-221 and other models with less than 1.5 GB of RAM?
---- :geek:
TS-253A 2x8TB | TS-221 2x4TB | Hybrid Backup Sync user
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Working alternative antivirus solution for NAS models with less than 1.5 GB of RAM?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

u could try replace the qts with unraid or other?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWPFdAHViZE
https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comment ... r_malware/

you plug in usb flash drive, go to the qnap bios and make sure not to auto boot the default internal usb/dom, then setup the new OS. Then whenever you startup your qnap it will boot from that new OS.

So even if your qnap qts is eol and not updated, you can use the other alternatives that are updated :' that's one way to go about it.

i've been looking into this for myself as well post eol nas status.

or you can upgrade to a new model for continued qts support 8)

for malware etc, usually if you stay security patched, don't expose nas online, and don't dump files onto nas before checking it's not dodgy (my files usually go through my win10 client pc which uses windows defender, and i'm usually 95% sure these are non dodgy files. anything remotely suspect never gets onto my nas).

thats how i keep my nas clean. I also have backups, so even if the NAS does get compromised, i may have a backup i can revert back to in times of crisis.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Working alternative antivirus solution for NAS models with less than 1.5 GB of RAM?

Post by dolbyman »

the 221 does not have a "Bios"

move the av to the clients (they should have it anyways) or scan remote NAS folders from a client ...

Return to “NAS Management”