IP Attack

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
davmor54
New here

Re: IP Attack

Post by davmor54 »

I was subject to the same kind of attack, with many failed attempts to logon and thought I would simply limit logon to the local private network address range only (I hadn't seen the above advice - I've only just joined this forum). Unfortunately I didn't notice that the default address that came up was NOT my local 192.168.0.x range but 192.168.1.x range - so I now can't logon. :(
I tried disconnecting the NAS from my network, and set a fixed IP address in the 192.168.1.x range on my laptop, and connected that directly to the NAS - unfortunately the NAS came up with an APIPA 169.254.x.x address, so couldn't communicate. Any help please on how I can get around this? It's a TS251+ NAS (with a USB input on the front) will that work if I buy a suitable USB cable to connect to my laptop?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
davmor54 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:38 am Any help please on how I can get around this?
Perform a short (3-second) reset to clear the allowed IPs list. Some other items will be reset too, but your data will be retained: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
davmor54
New here

Post by davmor54 »

Thank you OneCD - that's brilliant! Thank you very much for your help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure you remove all port forwards and disable upnp on the router
davmor54
New here

Post by davmor54 »

Thank you for your helpful prompt, dolbyman - uPnP now disabled. I didn't use remotely for a long time, so I believe MyQNAP Cloud account was removed (I seem to recall a notification to that effect). So am I correct in thinking that port forwarding is not an issue for me (at present, anyway)?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you had random IP's connecting from WAN, then you definitely had either manual port forwards or upnp active
davmor54
New here

Post by davmor54 »

Yes, you're quite correct - uPNP was on, but (thanks to your earlier prompt!) I disabled it - I wasn't even aware that it was on until you first mentioned it! I was just concerned with the second part of your earlier post, where you also mentioned port forwarding, and I just wanted to confirm whether or not that's an issue for me as I'm not using MyQNAP Cloud - my account has lapsed - is that correct (otherwise I can't see where I would turn it off)?
Footnote (added later): Having looked back at earlier posts, and some related threads, I've now made the necessary changes on my router also (upnp was enabled on that too!) and so discovered the port forwarding settings there. Thank you OneCD and dolbyman for your help - I feel much more relaxed now!

Return to “NAS Management”