QNAP TS-853DU-RP with Jumbo Frames

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
maxkmv
New here

QNAP TS-853DU-RP with Jumbo Frames

Post by maxkmv »

Bought the QNAP TS-853DU-RP NAS. Now I want to connect it directly to HP DL380 Gen 7 Server running ESXI 7.0

Connected it with a Cat6 cable directly from Server NIC to QNAP (no switch in between). It works fine with default MTU: 1500, as soon as I try a different MTU (i.e. 9000 or lower) it just changes to "Network Interface Adaptor 2 disconnected" (obviously tried changing MTU in ESXI Virtual switch to match to the same value, also restarted both QNAP and ESXI too). It just stays "Disconnected" until I change MTU back to 1500 and reboot NAS.

The server supports Jumbo Frames, ESXI 7 supports Jumbo frames, no switch is used in between. Why does the QNAP still insist it's NIC is "disconnected" unless using default MTU 1500? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
iok
Starting out

Re: QNAP TS-853DU-RP with Jumbo Frames

Post by iok »

I am experiencing the same issue on the same QNAP model.
It was working with both interfaces configured with MTU=9000 until I updated the NAS with the latest april firmware release (4.5.2.1630). After updating the firmware the NAS did not reconnect to the network. I had to reset the network and virtual switch operating from the CLI but then I have seen that if I set MTU=9000 on one interface, that NIC will disconnect from the network.
I have just found your post but I cannot help you. I can only say that it was working with MTU 9000 until the latest firmware update, so I can guess it could be a bug in the latest firmware.
To have the NICs connected I had to set MTU=1500.
maxkmv
New here

Post by maxkmv »

Let us hope someone from QNAP is monitoring this forum and can verify there is an issue.
iok
Starting out

Post by iok »

I think that QNAP developers do not read this forum...

However, we opened a support ticket about this issue.
A Qnap support tech told us that a patch for the 2,5 GbE driver will be included in the next QTS build, 4.5.2.1642.

Return to “NAS Management”