Warning Samsung NVME 970 evo disk SSD estimated life 0%

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
Training4all
Starting out

Warning Samsung NVME 970 evo disk SSD estimated life 0%

Post by Training4all »

I just upgraded to the latest firmware 4.5.3.1652 on my NAS & right after the upgrade, I got a orange warning message stating that both of my Samsung NVME 970 evo 500gb disks currentely being used for cache have an 'SSD estimated life' 0%. This seems strange that both would suddenly go at the same time particularly as the are both lass than 2 years old & display a power on status of only 347 days. is this an error in the latest firmware or should I really consider changing out both drives? is there any utility I can us with QTS to get more info about the state of the drives?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Warning Samsung NVME 970 evo disk SSD estimated life 0%

Post by dolbyman »

as cache drives would be used 100% the same, aging would happen the same on all, so not THAT crazy

what was the remaining life before the update ? could be all a coincidence..as remaining life is reported by the drive and not calculated by the nas
Last edited by dolbyman on Mon May 03, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Training4all
Starting out

Post by Training4all »

dolbyman wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:54 pm as cache drives woukd be used 100% the same, aging would happen the same on all, so not THAT crazy

what was the remaining life before the update ? could be all a coincidence..as remaining life is reported by the drive and not calculated by the nas
Well actually only one m.2 drive was brand new, as I already had one SSD I had been using in a Laptop which I repurposed when I first got the NAS as read only cache. Then a few months later I bought a second SSD which I then added as write cache.

I have no idea what the remaining life was before as everything was running fine until the upgrade, then both drives reported 0% at the same time. Even though they would have different life spans considering one was second hand & being used as read only cache for a good few months before the second brand new drive was added.
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

Training4all wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:39 pm I just upgraded to the latest firmware 4.5.3.1652 on my NAS & right after the upgrade, I got a orange warning message stating that both of my Samsung NVME 970 evo 500gb disks currentely being used for cache have an 'SSD estimated life' 0%. This seems strange that both would suddenly go at the same time particularly as the are both lass than 2 years old & display a power on status of only 347 days. is this an error in the latest firmware or should I really consider changing out both drives? is there any utility I can us with QTS to get more info about the state of the drives?
I came across the same read-out for the M2 NVME SSD’s for my two Samsung 970 pro’s a while back and was also surprised about the estimated life expectancy for both. I have them in my main nas (TS-h886) now for 5 months and both are showing 93 percent health at the moment. In my case these ssd’s would reach 0 percent in like 5 years time.. Not that bad as yours, but still this is surprisingly quick in my opinion. My 860 pro’s 2,5” ssd’s are at 98% as are my seagate SATA drives...
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie

Return to “NAS Management”