Low drive speed detected

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
graemev
Know my way around

Low drive speed detected

Post by graemev »

Warning 2021-08-02 06:33:40 admin 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Low drive speed detected for disk "Host: Disk 2". Check disk status.
Woke up to 4 (count em ..4) messages, Host Disk 1...4. Checked on Qmanager app , 3 messages 1,2 &4 . Immediately followed by
Information 2021-08-02 06:33:43 admin 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Finished weekly disk read performance test.
I have 451+ with 4 drives.

Checked on Web interface on a computer, 4 messages , in order 1..4

So:
  1. The Qmanager seems to be unreliable. It's not showing me log entries which exist
  2. Given the Co-incidence is timing, I 'm guessing it's related to the performance test

I see nothing on this board about this but I do see stuff on Reddit . So my current best guess is:
  1. Qmanager is unreliable. I cannot trust message therein
  2. The "Drive speed low" is not , as it sounds a message about the spin speed of the drive , but a performance measurement of the disk
  3. Yesterday was 1st of month and a Sunday. The logs suggest
    • Sun 1st at 8am SMART scans complted with no problems (so I guess the drives are fine)
    • Mon @ 2am Raid Scrubbing started
    • Mon @ 3am Malware scanning started
    • Mon @ 03:30 AM ... Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] [IHM] Started analyzing disk "Host: Disk 2". Analysis started by the system.
    • Mon at 5:11 AM .... Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Uploaded disk analysis data. ... [last of 1,2,3 &4]
    • Mon at 6:33 + The above message "low drive speed"
    • Mon @ 06:33:43 Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Finished weekly disk read performance test.
    • NOW 10am ...Raid scrubbing is still running
    Judging from the timestamps, this is message about "performance" not spin speed and I think this is just a coincidental line up of jobs
    • Trim runs @ 2am on 2nd of each month
    • Raid scrubbing runs at 2:15 on 2nd of months
    • No regular filesystem check (probably ought to do this)
    • weekly (weakly:-) disk performance test . Seems there's no GUI way to set the schedule for this
  4. In Summary (TL;DR) Buggy Qmanager, Poor wording of message (not drive speed but Raid performance) poor scheduling of various background jobs
ABTW, another set of jobs which run as Admin ... how does that play with suggestion that Admin account is disabled?
GPD-PCT
First post

Re: Low drive speed detected

Post by GPD-PCT »

I have just seen t the same error and that on a recently renewed HDD drive!
I replaced its identical predecessor in the same slot only 2 months ago.

Did you manage to get anywhere with yours?

Thanks

Greg
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

As I suggested in the post, I don't believe the "spin speed" of the drives is in question. I believe this is a performance issue and in my case is simply a side effect of lots of other disk intensive work at the time...an unfortunate coincidence of background tasks....

I short, look at your logs, work out what was going on at the time
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

graemev, great job on the analysis. I also presumed "low drive speed" meant the disk rotation was a problem. I am on board with your hypothesis and appreciate the work you put into it.

Return to “NAS Management”