app migration to alternate volume

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
peinal
First post

app migration to alternate volume

Post by peinal »

I am moving apps in prep to remove vol1 and then replace the disks in vol1 (1&2) with new 8TB disks which I then plan to add to the existing 6 disk, vol2. So, I have migrated all of the apps (except 1--more on this in a moment) which have a migration option. The QNAP support link stated that apps which couldn't be migrated will have to "In case the not allowed, you will need to backup the APP data and reinstall the app again)".

My questions are 1) how to do this? 2) if this is an app-by-app process, how can I determine where a given apps' data is? 3) the Plex app has a migration option. However, I need to know before I try this, will the migration capture all of Plex's library-database info? Or do I need to backup/copy Plex's config & databases before migrating? If yes, again, where would this data be stored and how would I restore it?

Why the changes? My vol1 is a raid1/mirror configuration (disks 1&2) with two 4TB drives. QNAP is telling me that disk 2 is going bad--many bad sectors,etc. I wanted to take the opportunity while faced with this, to move to one volume and expand my capacity to 8- 8TB drives (in a raid 6 config). The existing vol2 is six - 8TB drives in a raid6 configuration.

Lastly, 4) Any pointers or gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks!
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: app migration to alternate volume

Post by dosborne »

If I am reading your post correctly, why don't you replace 1 of the disks in your first mirror, let it rebuild the mirror, then replace the 2nd disk, let it rebuild the mirror, then extend the volume to use the whole disk (assuming the new ones are larger than the originals, as you indicated).

I just did something a bit similar on the weekend going from a 2TB mirror to an 18TB replacement, using the first 2TB as part of the "old" mirror, and will do the second drive and expansion at a future date.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “NAS Management”