One NAS, multiple VLANs with different file access

Q'center app, Helpdesk app
nasebear
New here

One NAS, multiple VLANs with different file access

Post by nasebear »

Hello,

I’d like to use a single QNAP NAS (TS435-xeu) within a local network, where particular file shares (Samba, NFS, etc) shall only be accessible from specific machines. My idea was to assign a suitable VLAN to each machine (some machines may be in more than one VLAN) and to also assign a VLAN to each file share (so that this file share is only accessible within this VLAN). But I am unsure whether QNAP supports the assignment of VLANs to specific file shares - can anyone tell me whether this will work?

If there’d be two physical NAS, it seems this would naturally work, but I don’t want to set up multiple NAS…
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: One NAS, multiple VLANs with different file access

Post by FSC830 »

Never seen that shares can be limited to a VLAN, but if you check network interface settings, you can add VLAN(s?) to an individual adapter.
So if using multiple adapters you may can achieve your goal. But keep in mind, that using multiple interfaces with different VLANs you may need to use different NAS names for a name resolution,
i.e. NAS10 -> IP in VLAN 10, NAS20 -> IP in VLAN 20.

Regards
nasebear
New here

Post by nasebear »

Just to confirm I understand you right: you are saying that I can assign different file shares to different ethernet ports/IPs?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

No! I have just said that you can assign one (or multiple?) VLAN(s) to a specific interface.
But may be using "simple" subnettting is also an option.
share01 -> /shares/CACHEDEV1_DATA/mydata and permissions are set for 192.168.0.0/24 no access and 192.168.1.0/24 full access, then all hosts in 192.168.1.0 can access whereas all hosts from 192.168.0.0 are denied.

But afaik you cant limit access inside a share to individual files/folders with QNAP settings.

Regards
nasebear
New here

Post by nasebear »

But again, this only works if QNAP allows me to assign shares to a specific IP address - or what do I miss?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You can set share permissions for specified IP addresse or IP ranges. This is common Linux stuff.
But you cant set share permissions for an specified interface.
For SMB you also can allow dedicated hosts.

Best is, to figure it out in a test, so you can check if it matches your needs.

Regards
nasebear
New here

Post by nasebear »

Okay perfect. Yes, I need to test these things, but for that I have to buy a NAS first :-)
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Ah... ok, thought, you got it already and want to configue it... 8)

Regards

Return to “NAS Management”