Routine Back up

JarryBones
New here

Routine Back up

Post by JarryBones »

I have a TS251 plus with dual drive in Raid Group one mode fitted with 2 x 3 TB HDDs. I simply want to back up my data onto a Seagate 4TB "OneDrive" fitted as external storage device via a USB port from the back of the QNAP NAS. Currently I have copied and pasted to using the folder application in the QNAP Control centre to make it work. However, I would like to set up a routine back up. Yes I know I can use the cloud and will eventually do that but I would like to make this work first? Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Routine Back up

Post by dolbyman »

JarryBones
New here

Post by JarryBones »

Thank you for your response. Currently for digital control purposes, the Seagate drive appears not as a local NAS - not as a remote NAS not as I cloud storage but as an external drive within the Local NAS. There does not seem to be a select box within the back up control panel which will permit me to select it as a storage destination space. Help still needed? Do I have to have a NAS to have a back up I own?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

HBS3 can backup to local drives or NAS shares .. I do not know what product this mentioned cloud drive is, so I cannot help there (at least not without more info)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

JarryBones wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:50 am I simply want to back up my data onto a Seagate 4TB "OneDrive" fitted as external storage device via a USB port from the back of the QNAP NAS.
Then this has nothing to do with "cloud" and HBS3 should be able to handle it just fine. What firmware version and HBS3 version are you running (if you are still having issues finding the option)?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

My guess: it is just a misunderstanding of wording!
When creating a backup job to an USB drive the correct way is FROM local NAS -> TO local NAS.
When selecting the target folder (TO local NAS) you need to drill down the menu to the attached USB device!

Regards

Return to “Object Storage Server”