SyncBack

shooms99
Starting out

SyncBack

Post by shooms99 »

Has anyone been able to use SyncBack to backup your computer's data to the QNAP S3-Compatible storage server? Specifically, I am looking to make sure it is:
1) secure (using a HTTPS URL)
2) the QNAP server is behind a router

I can't seem to get SyncBack (or ARQ) to connect to the QNAP OSS.
P3R
Guru

Re: SyncBack

Post by P3R »

shooms99 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 pm 2) the QNAP server is behind a router
What do you mean?
I can't seem to get SyncBack (or ARQ) to connect to the QNAP OSS.
SyncBack Free or SE have no S3 support so do you use SyncBack Pro version 6 or higher?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
shooms99
Starting out

Post by shooms99 »

shooms99 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 pm 2) the QNAP server is behind a router
What do you mean?
I have a standard WIFI router, and my QNAP is plugged into one of the LAN ports of the router. In other words, the QNAP is not directly on the internet. I have port forwarding enabled for the appropriate port on the QNAP(8081).
SyncBack Free or SE have no S3 support so do you use SyncBack Pro version 6 or higher?
Yes, sorry, I didn't specify the version. I was referring to the latest SyncBack Pro v9. It has S3 support (including S3-compatible).
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

shooms99 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 pm I have a standard WIFI router, and my QNAP is plugged into one of the LAN ports of the router. In other words, the QNAP is not directly on the internet. I have port forwarding enabled for the appropriate port on the QNAP(8081).
If you have port forwarding opening up your NAS to the whole internet then it's by definition not secure. Use a remote access VPN service if you need a reasonably secure remote access to your NAS.

Even if you think opening up services to the internet is a good idea (I disagree), I would start testing connectivity from the same network where you have the NAS.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Object Storage Server”