ElephantDrive Not Working in 4.3.3

Jansport
Starting out

ElephantDrive Not Working in 4.3.3

Post by Jansport »

I've got a TS-419II and I installed the elephantdrive app from the app store. I click on it and I just get the elephantdrive logo and the Qnap logo in a web page.

I have no idea if it is actually working since there doesn't appear to be any interface with which to configure it.

The QNAP web server is running.

Any insight into this would be helpful. Thanks.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: ElephantDrive Not Working in 4.3.3

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Jansport wrote:Any insight into this would be helpful. Thanks.
ElephantDrive recently increased its storage space options such that you can now get 1,000 GB of storage for $10 per month (previously, $10 per month got you only 100 GB), and it offers both versioning and a personal-key option, so I tested the service for the June 2017 update to this guide. ElephantDrive requires Java, which is not included with the app as with CrashPlan, so you’re prompted to install it if it’s not already present on your computer. ElephantDrive backs up your Desktop, Music, and Pictures folders by default (not your entire Home folder), but you can make changes to the selection before the backup runs. Unfortunately, like many Java apps, ElephantDrive has an awkward user interface, and it’s even less user-friendly and less at home on either Mac or Windows than CrashPlan. And because ElephantDrive requires a standard Java installation, unlike CrashPlan’s self-contained runtime environment, ElephantDrive potentially subjects your computer to unnecessary security risks. Finally, two other issues make it far less attractive than CrashPlan or Backblaze. First, ElephantDrive offers deduplication but not delta updates; make even a tiny change to a file and the whole thing is uploaded again, wasting time, bandwidth, and storage space. Second, although the app offers versioning, the interface makes it unnecessarily cumbersome to see and restore older file versions. On the plus side, measured throughput was a healthy 18.87 Mbps, at which rate you could back up about 212 GB per day; and the company has a version of ElephantDrive that runs on many NAS devices, giving you a good way to back them up to the cloud.
Unlimited storage: Most online backup services offer unlimited backups of a single computer at a fixed price. Others offer tiered pricing, in which you pay for only the data you need, but these days you can get unlimited storage for $5 per month, so charging the same amount for only 1 TB (or less) seems stingy.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-o ... p-service/

go crashplan :X save money also get better deal :mrgreen:

alternatively theres hubic.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Jansport
Starting out

Post by Jansport »

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestion, but a draw for elephant drive, for me anyway, was the fact that it integrated with the QNAP and I didn't need to have clients running on my PCs and laptops.

Does CrashPlan have a similar ability?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Jansport wrote:Thanks! I appreciate the suggestion, but a draw for elephant drive, for me anyway, was the fact that it integrated with the QNAP and I didn't need to have clients running on my PCs and laptops.

Does CrashPlan have a similar ability?
well i stopped looking further after seeing price point for storage capacity :X

idrive looks interesting in terms of features. but the pricing is 10 times that of crashplan, as in 50usd instead of 5usd monthly :shock: ) and thats only for 10tb not unlimited.

amazon drive cloud looked similar to crashplan, but this year they made it only for pictures so that sux.

then carbonite looks great also, but i didn't see qnap support for it.

anyway crashplan review

[youtube=]1qESyEe16DQ[/youtube]

either use dynek's qpkg or install via docker. you decide which is the better method for you.

hubic either works via hybrid backup sync which supports it, or qsteph's qpkg (though i'm unsure if his still maintaining his app for it though)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Jansport
Starting out

Post by Jansport »

Wow, thanks for the information. I had Elephant drive set up and it was just working, which I like. So, I would have liked to do that again after my firmware update.

However, ElephantDrive recently dinged me for going over my storage of 100GB. I went to their web page and they had changed their plans to where 1TB of storage is $9.99/month. I was paying the same for 100gb/month (this was in 2010 or so). I was ** that they 1. didn't automatically upgrade me to the new storage tier at the same price and 2. in the account section for paying customers the price to upgrade to the 1TB of space offered on the front page was advertised for 9x more!

I'm wondering why I should even stay with them at this point. I sent them a rather pointed email on Friday (21/07/2017) expressing my disgust, so let's see what they do, if anything, to repair my relationship with them.

Meantime, I will check out your suggestions. Thanks again for helping me out.

[edit] It seems that Dynek's package is no longer working for ARM based QNAPs (which I have) due to a closed source library change by Code42. It seems that I am still looking for a NAS-based cloud backup solution.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Jansport wrote: I'm wondering why I should even stay with them at this point. I sent them a rather pointed email on Friday (21/07/2017) expressing my disgust, so let's see what they do, if anything, to repair my relationship with them.

Meantime, I will check out your suggestions. Thanks again for helping me out.

[edit] It seems that Dynek's package is no longer working for ARM based QNAPs (which I have) due to a closed source library change by Code42. It seems that I am still looking for a NAS-based cloud backup solution.
thats my point exactly. i guess their business model is that the people their aiming to fleece from don't know any better.

arm? dang :(

did you try hubic? crashplan had a trial, but i'm not sure about hubic.
NAS

Network

Resources
Jansport
Starting out

Post by Jansport »

I agree. hubic seems like the answer. I signed up for their 25gb free tier. I'm a little worried about the speed of an international trans-Atlantic backup seeing as how I'm in the US and they're in France. I also can't seem to find any legitimate information concerning the encryption they use on their cloud storage.

I do like the fact that they aren't using Amazon S3 though, and the pricing is very competitive.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Jansport wrote:I agree. hubic seems like the answer. I signed up for their 25gb free tier. I'm a little worried about the speed of an international trans-Atlantic backup seeing as how I'm in the US and they're in France. I also can't seem to find any legitimate information concerning the encryption they use on their cloud storage.

I do like the fact that they aren't using Amazon S3 though, and the pricing is very competitive.
French privacy laws: how strict are they?
France boast some of the toughest controls in western Europe, but punishments lag behind in their severity

While he did not deny the allegations, his threaten to sue the magazine has reignited debate over the issue in a country where privacy laws are some of the strictest in the world.
The French constitution demands that everyone has the right to privacy, which is why even Hollande can claim breaches of it despite placing himself in the most prominent spot in the public eye. Publication of an individual’s private details is a criminal offence in France, if permission has not been sought first. And authors often have to pay the price, by blacking out photos or parts of a story that are deemed to infringe an individual's privacy.

This is not the first time that Closer magazine has come up against France’s privacy laws. In 2012, it received widespread criticism for publishing photos of the Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing topless on a private holiday. Clarence House issued a statement that the Duke and Duchess were seeking legal action, and likened the infringement of her privacy to the sort of intrusion Princess Diana endured by the world’s press.

The French president’s official current partner, Valerie Trierweiler, has also advocated her right to privacy. In 2012, she took two TV journalists to court over allegations published in their unauthorised biography of her. The book by Christophe Jacubyszyn and Alix Bouilhagact stated that she had been two-timing Hollande and a former conservative minister Patrick Deridijan, all while she was still married to her ex-husband Denis Trierweiler, whom she divorced in 2010.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -they.html

but yes i agree, encryption is very important. also like you said cauz it's european server based, not sure if connection is gonna be good for you. thats why i suggest trial first to test the waters.
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “ElephantDrive”