NFS share for NVR

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
Mr_Eee
Starting out

NFS share for NVR

Post by Mr_Eee »

Greetings all,
I'm attempting to setup a Hikvision (Linux based) NVR to use a shared folder on our works new 19" QNAP. Both devices are on a Lab LAN - 192.168.100.x where x is unique on the LAN.
The NVR says to ensure the fileshare is Linux compatible by using NFS, without specifying the version.
Anyway, I've turned on NFS v2/v3 and v4 services, then went in to the created network share 'NVR' and edited the permissions:-
192.168.100.*, no squashing, R/W access (I don't remember the exact wording, I'm home now)
As a result, the NVR when pointed at the QNAP IP address, shows up the correctly named folder when the 'search' button is pressed. The setup is then completed by highlighting the folder name and pressing OK.
The problem is that the NVR then shows up 'Mismatch', starts beeping and says the available storage is 0. It does however correctly show the QNAP capacity.
I know I'm mostly correct because without the permissions set as above, the NVR won't even show the QNAP share. I'd tried various combinations for the share permissions, initially focused on the exact IP of the NVR but realized that IP could change, so spread out the rule to the '*'
Any pointers for me to research next would be great - is it a misunderstanding on the shared folder NFS access rights?
Beeewooop
New here

Re: NFS share for NVR

Post by Beeewooop »

Im having same issue..

did you resolve this.
Mr_Eee
Starting out

Post by Mr_Eee »

Beeewooop, sorry for the delay, I just found the notification email in my spam.
I'm not at work now but we did get the solution eventually by a lot of experimentation. It's NOT obvious and took a few attempts so we only got the solution a couple of weeks ago.
I'll post the solution when I get in tomorrow.
Mr_Eee
Starting out

Post by Mr_Eee »

Ok, so here's the basic solution but please consider that some things you may have to change to suit your situation...
We originally had the full drive capacity assigned to a single 'thick volume', which didn't work.
  • Shrink the thick volume by the amount of capacity you think you need for the NVR
  • Create a 'Snapshot Shared Folder' of the size required - name it something obvious.
  • Edit the new shared folder permissions:
    • tick 'access right' only.
    • Add 'allowed IP address or domain name' as '*' for host, '--' for security, 'read/write' for squash, 'squash no users' for the options. We have greyed out 'guest' for the anonymous columns.
  • Now you need to go to the Hikvision NVR and add the NAS
  • Once you are pointed at the NAS and the named share, you will have to format the share
The 'snapshot share' is the critical part in the setup, anything else just ended up with the Hikvision beeping. My impression is that the 'format' process doesn't actually do that, but prepares the location with a file structure. I could be wrong.
I hope it works for you too.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”