NFS Share mounting but no write access

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
Budgie
Know my way around

NFS Share mounting but no write access

Post by Budgie »

TS 559 Pro II running NFS server and I am accessing my Multimedia from openSUSE Leap 15.3 on same subnet.
I have set up the NFS mount and can see and read the contents /Multimedia and all the contents and can play the files all without any difficulty.
What I cannot do is create a directory on the NAS or write a file to it.
I have all the settings that I can find set as rw and have checked .config/nfssettings on the NAS which give me:-
/share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia = rw
Even so I cannot write to it.
Please could somebody tell me where I am going wrong.

Budge
OneCD
Guru

Re: NFS Share mounting but no write access

Post by OneCD »

Can you please post the mount command you're using in openSUSE?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Budgie
Know my way around

Post by Budgie »

This is what I have from running mount:-
192.168.169.130:/Multimedia on /home/alastair/mastermedia type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.169.130,mountvers=3,mountport=30000,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.169.130)

Hope this helps.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Did you modify the NFS access rights in the QTS control panel for this share? The default options mean your share will appear to have 'rw' access but will be 'r' only.

To check this in QTS 5 the following steps should work. If your old NAS is running QTS 4.2.6, things might look a little different.

QTS Control Panel -> Privilege -> Shared Folders -> find your target share -> click on the "Edit Shared Folder Permission" button in the "Action" column on the right side -> from the "Select permission type" dropdown menu, choose "NFS host access" -> tick the "Access right" box -> ensure the entry for allowed IP addresses you're using has "Squash Option" set to "read/write" -> click the "Apply" button -> now try mounting your share in openSUSE.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Budgie
Know my way around

Post by Budgie »

Hi and very many thanks for your detailed reply. I have checked my settings and believe I have everything right except I am not sure about the Squash option. I have Access rights as "no limit" and Squash option set as "NO_ROOT_SQUASH" with the box for the relevant.
Unfortunately I still do not have write access.

I have found an interesting thread on the forum at
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27384
which may be relevant. Is that correct?
Budgie
Know my way around

Post by Budgie »

I have not solved my problem but it is clear that there was confusion and inconsistencies with my shares on the NAS.
I have therefore removed all the shares with a view to rebuilding shares in correct and consistent order for all systems.
My problem now is that when I go to the NAS using web access I cannot see the shared directory in File Station.
It is clear the directory is still on the NAS but just not visible from File Station.
How do I correct this so the directory is shown.
Regards,

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”