HELP - QTS 5.0 cannot read NFS shares anymore after update

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
simones
New here

HELP - QTS 5.0 cannot read NFS shares anymore after update

Post by simones »

Hi,

I have a TS-2483XU NAS.
After update from QTS 4 to QTS 5.0 , I cannot read NFS shares anymore.

The update run automatically this night, I have a lot of NFS shares that worked flawlessly until before. I have shared samba folders too, with advanced folder permissions enabled.

All NFS shares are Squash all as user guest.

The weird thing is that I can mount the shares no problem, but I cannot write or even read , all clients returns me permission denied.

I opened a ticket with QNAP too, but I'm writing here if anyone have an idea because I'm on emergency everything is blocked!

file permissions from NAS cli seems to be ok.

I use simple NFS clients with no requirements, usually NFS v2/3 is more than enough.
I'm wondering if some global settings of samba shares ( ACL , advanced permissions ) in QTS 5.0 are changed and can influence NFS service too. I have another smaller NAS with only NFS enabled and it works even after QTS 5.0 update, but it does not have microsoft service enabled at all.

if anyone can give me a clue that should be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Simon
pokrakam
Know my way around

Re: HELP - QTS 5.0 cannot read NFS shares anymore after update

Post by pokrakam »

Yes there's something screwy going on. Oddly, doing any permission operation, even taking away something that's not there, fixes it.

Code: Select all

~$ mkdir foo
~$ ls -l
total 1
drwxrwx--- 2 test  everyone        2 2022-02-02 14:43 foo/
lrwxr-xr-x 1 admin administrators 26 2022-02-02 13:42 @Recycle -> /share/homes/@Recycle/test/
~$ 
~$ cd foo
-sh: cd: foo: Permission denied
~$ chmod o-r foo
~$ cd foo
~/foo$ 
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I guess there is something different in QTS 5.0, I have a similiar issue, I cant explain by now:
I am using a raspberry Pi with OS Bullseye 64bit (beta).
At this Pi I have mounted two Samba shares, one from NAS with QTS 4.3.4, the other from NAS with QTS 5.0.
Both share permissions and mount options are 100% identical.
The shares are mounted with credentials from user "test" (test is not member of the administrators group).
At the share from QTS 4.3.4 I can do everything, creating, deleting, renaming files and directories.
At the share from QTS 5.0 I can edit existing files (i.e. using vi), but when using touch, cp, rm, mv a "permission denied" error occurrs.
Using sudo or admin user (at Pi) and all is fine.
Still waiting for weeks for an answer from QNAP support. On the other hand some in German forum reports all is fine at his site, no permission issues. :shock:

It is a test system and I am still investigating, but I crosschecked and compared the settings at both NAS several times and did not found a difference.
So I suspect QTS 5.0 behave in a different way with Samba shares.
BTW. Mounted the shares at a Windows and all is fine, same if both shares mounted at Pi with nfs.

Regards
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Yes, it's through ssh and smb that I'm experiencing this weirdness. Same thing as you with a perfectly functional QTS 4.3 but weird QTS 5 machine.
If I create a folder from my Mac I end up with an inaccessible folder named "untitled folder". Normally we never see this, it's created in background while the user types their folder name.
Are you running ZFS by any chance? I have a share on another storage pool where I can create folders.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Found today some time to spent my Samba problem: after deleteing the share (not the data) and recreating, all works as expected. :geek:
Seems, that when share was created for first time, a Bit was drunken :lol: (a Bit, not me!).

Anyhow, now all commands (rm, touch, mv, ...) are working.

Regards
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately not the case here. I have the issue through samba, on a home folder share, and in a console (above). I deleted and recreated users several times, same result.
I have another share not related to the user, and I gave it 777 permissions and that share works fine. If I go and assign all 777 permissions on /share/homes/<user> it still doesn't work.
andreas.phillipp
New here

Post by andreas.phillipp »

Hi all,

same issue here.

Upgraded TVS-1271 from 4.x to 5.0.0.1932 this morning and all machines are unable to use the existing NFS-Shares.

Even creating new shares cannot be accessed for some reason, basically all settings were tried. Really weird....

Regards
andreas.phillipp
New here

Post by andreas.phillipp »

we were able to fix our issue by unticking "Enable Advanced Folder Permissions" which is located in Shared Folders -> tab "Advanced Permissions".

Seems that this is enabled by the firmware upgrade.

Hope that helps
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Thanks for posting the info. Alas that tab is available on the latest QTS hero - h5.0.0.1892.

However that's still not right, a user should be able to create a folder in their home directory with advanced permission.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

A firmware update for QTS Hero is available now (h5.0.0.1892 -> 1949), but made no difference. I think this needs to go to QNAP, unfortunately I have another issue outstanding so can't log this with them at the moment, may take another couple of weeks. If anyone else still has the issue I'd suggest logging a ticket.
prox612
New here

Post by prox612 »

I'm also having this issue. I cannot connect to any of my shares that were working perfectly fine a day or so ago. Just magically stopped working. Not sure where Enable advanced folder permissions is.
mattanja
New here

Post by mattanja »

Same problem here - after upgrading from QTS 4.x to 5.0.0.1986 Build 20220324.
Removing the shares (without removing the data) and adding again helped. Of course also NFS Host access and permission needed to be set again for these shares.

The reason for this behavior seems to be that the shares are mounted under /share/NFSv=4/$sharename now and this entry is only created when setting up new shares.
mattanja
New here

Post by mattanja »

Hi,

I hope this will help some others:

Mounting NFS shares worked for me a few days ago after re-creating the shares. Then today after re-booting, the connections from my Ubuntu client to the QNAP NFS shares was not working again. Then I noticed that one of the shares that started with a Capital letter was connected. After changing the other share names to start with an uppercase letter, the connections worked. I have double/tripple-checked the effect and can reproduce it - no connection with lowercase, successful connection with uppercase.

The share is called "data" (see screenshot), but the mount only works if I set it to uppercase "/Data".

/etc/fstab

qnap:/Data	/media/corenetstorage	nfs rw,hard 0 0
qnap:/Backup	/media/backup		nfs rw,hard 0 0
qnap:/Media	/media/media		nfs rw,hard 0 0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Cant confirm this from my NAS (5.0.0.1986), runs as designed even in lowercase letters:

root@ubuntu20:~# showmount -e ts473a
Export list for ts473a:
/ubuntu01 192.168.0.0/16
/homes    192.168.0.0/16
/amazone  192.168.0.0/16
/Webcam50 192.168.0.0/16
/Web      192.168.0.0/16
/Test01   192.168.0.0/16
/RHSF     192.168.0.0/16
/Public   192.168.0.0/16
/Pi50     192.168.0.0/16
/AWSGG    192.168.0.0/16
root@ubuntu20:~# mount | grep ubuntu
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv on / type ext4 (rw,relatime)
192.168.0.90:/ubuntu01 on /mnttest type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=192.168.0.20,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.0.90)
root@ubuntu20:~#
Its not the latest ubuntu:

root@ubuntu20:~# uname -a
Linux ubuntu20 5.4.0-92-generic #103-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 26 16:13:00 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Regards
msmith9xr4
New here

Post by msmith9xr4 »

I can confirm this is a major issue, rolling back firmware solves totally broken NFS- can mount, then permission denied

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”