My private /mastermedia file has gone from File Station!

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
Budgie
Know my way around

My private /mastermedia file has gone from File Station!

Post by Budgie »

I had a directory which I created /mastermedia and used to be able to see this in the File Station tree.
It has vanished. I am in panic mode as there are several GB of data in it.
I can still see the directory exists in the shared files directory but not in my main directory tree.
How may I reinstate the visibility so I can work on the files in File Station please?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: My private /mastermedia file has gone from File Station!

Post by dolbyman »

a folder or a share ? ..

No backups of super important data ? .. why ?

here you say you "removed all shares"
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=164761#p809051

So if you removed all shares, why are you surprised that the shares are gone ?
Budgie
Know my way around

Post by Budgie »

I have a backup.
I only removed the additions and believe I restored defaults. I have admin and two users, one rw and one ro.
In the shared folder permissions screen the /mastermedia directory is shown as "no access"
The shared directory is still showing on the shared folder setting screen complete with the 3.82TB of data and the Twonky server is still sharing data,
I hope the data is still truly still in place and that I am not looking at a cache.
Can I restore the subdirectory and access to it?
Budgie
Know my way around

Post by Budgie »

I have edited the permissions on the admin share and that has restored the directory so it seems that was my error.
I am still trying to find where a UID of 1002 came from which is what had been shewing on my NFS client. It was when trying to sort that out that I messed up my access permissions.

If I set up an LDAP server on one NAS and this system fails I will have no LDAP backup. What is the preferred method for backing up LDAP. Should I use a second NAS as backup.

I have two running but the older one does not support nfsv4, only nfsv2 & 3. My workstations all now support nfsv4. Is LDAP nfs agnostic and work with highest version available or must I try and be consistent with nfsv4?

Should I start a new thread on LDAP?
Thanks for your fast replies to my earlier posts.
Regards,
Budge.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”