nfs automount at system startup

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
cxterm
New here

nfs automount at system startup

Post by cxterm »

Hello,
I just brought an ts-451 and want it mount shared folder in another nas through nfs. I added the mount entry in the /etc/fstab on qnap ts-451, but after reboot, the entry was removed from fstab and I need manually mount that share. How can I do so that the ts-451 can remember my changes and mount the remote nfs share automatically every time it reboot? Thanks!
pwilson
Guru

Re: nfs automount at system startup

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:Hello,
I just brought an ts-451 and want it mount shared folder in another nas through nfs. I added the mount entry in the /etc/fstab on qnap ts-451, but after reboot, the entry was removed from fstab and I need manually mount that share. How can I do so that the ts-451 can remember my changes and mount the remote nfs share automatically every time it reboot? Thanks!
What command do you use to manually mount it?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

pwilson wrote:What command do you use to manually mount it?
I edit the /etc/fstab and add a line:

192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup nfs rw 0 0

then in the command line:

mount /share/backup

but after the reboot, the line I added in fstab was gone.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:
pwilson wrote:What command do you use to manually mount it?
I edit the /etc/fstab and add a line:

192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup nfs rw 0 0

then in the command line:

mount /share/backup

but after the reboot, the line I added in fstab was gone.
Figure out the "/sbin/mount.nfs" command needed, and I will provide the rest. (I can't help with the NFS mount part, as I abandoned NFS in 1992. All my Linux machines here use Samba rather than NFS to mount my NAS filesystems).

The NAS doesn't really use the /etc/fstab at all. The /etc/fstab file on the NAS lives in a RAMdisk, and therefore does not survive a "reboot". Simply figure out the "/sbin/mount.nfs" or "/bin/mount -t nfs" command you need to use, and I will help you "script" it, so that it "autoruns" at NAS startup.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

pwilson wrote: Figure out the "/sbin/mount.nfs" command needed, and I will provide the rest. (I can't help with the NFS mount part, as I abandoned NFS in 1992. All my Linux machines here use Samba rather than NFS to mount my NAS filesystems).

The NAS doesn't really use the /etc/fstab at all. The /etc/fstab file on the NAS lives in a RAMdisk, and therefore does not survive a "reboot". Simply figure out the "/sbin/mount.nfs" or "/bin/mount -t nfs" command you need to use, and I will help you "script" it, so that it "autoruns" at NAS startup.
Thanks.
This is first time use the qnap nas. It looks like qnap does some modification to handle the startup.
I can use command line mount the nfs folder without problem. but how to make NAS save the change and auto applied it everytime it restart?
Currently I just found a solution is save the mount command to a script and append a section in /etc/qpkg.conf to let system run that script at startup.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:
pwilson wrote: Figure out the "/sbin/mount.nfs" command needed, and I will provide the rest. (I can't help with the NFS mount part, as I abandoned NFS in 1992. All my Linux machines here use Samba rather than NFS to mount my NAS filesystems).

Thanks.
This is first time use the qnap nas. It looks like qnap does some modification to handle the startup.
I can use command line mount the nfs folder without problem. but how to make NAS save the change and auto applied it everytime it restart?
Currently I just found a solution is save the mount command to a script and append a section in /etc/qpkg.conf to let system run that script at startup.
If you will provide the "mount" command, I will provide the rest. You can review my "scripts" to see what they are doing, but I'm not willing to do my part until you do yours.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

pwilson wrote: If you will provide the "mount" command, I will provide the rest. You can review my "scripts" to see what they are doing, but I'm not willing to do my part until you do yours.
My mount command is pretty straightforward.
# mount -t nfs -o rw,intr 192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup

Please show me your script to learn. Thanks.

Usually in linux machine, after modify the /etc/fstab will keep the system automout nfs share at startup. but as your said, qnap nas will rewrite the fstab at boot. Currently I can do the following way:
create a section on /etc/config/qpkg.conf:

Code: Select all

[remoteNFS]
Name = remoteNFS
Version = 1.0.0
Author = cxterm
Date = 2014-12-14
Shell = /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS/remoteNFS.sh
Install_Path = /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS
Enable = TRUE
then create a shell script call remoteNFS.sh in the folder /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS

#!/bin/sh

CONF=/etc/config/qpkg.conf
QPKG_NAME="remoteNFS"

case "$1" in
  start)
    ENABLED=$(/sbin/getcfg $QPKG_NAME Enable -u -d FALSE -f $CONF)
    if [ "$ENABLED" != "TRUE" ]; then
        echo "$QPKG_NAME is disabled."
        exit 1
    fi
    : ADD START ACTIONS HERE
    mount -t nfs -o rw,intr 192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup 1>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log &2>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log
    ;;

stop)
    : ADD STOP ACTIONS HERE
    umount /share/backup 1>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log &2>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log
    ;;

restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;

*)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
    exit 1
esac

exit 0
It works. but I am interesting in any easier way to complete this job.
by the way, could you tell me how to add a ip/hostname pair? Like the fstab, the /etc/hosts was also rewritten at each startup. so if I want to add my customized ip/hostname pair, how should i do? for example, I want the qnap nas know the short hostname "LinuxNAS" resolved to ip address 192.168.1.106,
if I add the line

192.168.1.106 LinuxNAS 
in /etc/hosts. It works well. But, after reboot, the above line no longer in the /etc/hosts, then nas will not find the host by the name 'LinuxNAS'.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:
pwilson wrote: If you will provide the "mount" command, I will provide the rest. You can review my "scripts" to see what they are doing, but I'm not willing to do my part until you do yours.
My mount command is pretty straightforward.
# mount -t nfs -o rw,intr 192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup

Please show me your script to learn. Thanks.

Usually in linux machine, after modify the /etc/fstab will keep the system automout nfs share at startup. but as your said, qnap nas will rewrite the fstab at boot. Currently I can do the following way:
create a section on /etc/config/qpkg.conf:

[remoteNFS]
Name = remoteNFS
Version = 1.0.0
Author = cxterm
Date = 2014-12-14
Shell = /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS/remoteNFS.sh
Install_Path = /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS
Enable = TRUE
then create a shell script call remoteNFS.sh in the folder /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS

#!/bin/sh

CONF=/etc/config/qpkg.conf
QPKG_NAME="remoteNFS"

case "$1" in
  start)
    ENABLED=$(/sbin/getcfg $QPKG_NAME Enable -u -d FALSE -f $CONF)
    if [ "$ENABLED" != "TRUE" ]; then
        echo "$QPKG_NAME is disabled."
        exit 1
    fi
    : ADD START ACTIONS HERE
    mount -t nfs -o rw,intr 192.168.1.106:/volume/share /share/backup 1>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log &2>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log
    ;;

stop)
    : ADD STOP ACTIONS HERE
    umount /share/backup 1>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log &2>> /tmp/remoteNFS.log
    ;;

restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;

*)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
    exit 1
esac

exit 0
It works. but I am interesting in any easier way to complete this job.
by the way, could you tell me how to add a ip/hostname pair? Like the fstab, the /etc/hosts was also rewritten at each startup. so if I want to add my customized ip/hostname pair, how should i do? for example, I want the qnap nas know the short hostname "LinuxNAS" resolved to ip address 192.168.1.106,
if I add the line

192.168.1.106 LinuxNAS 
in /etc/hosts. It works well. But, after reboot, the above line no longer in the /etc/hosts, then nas will not find the host by the name 'LinuxNAS'.
Don't beat on your Hosts file. Simply fix your DNS Server, so you don't need to do that nonsense.

As for your NFS mount (original issue), try the following script on your NAS:

Please login to your NAS via SSH, login as "admin"and run the following commands.

mount -t ext2 $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
ln -f /tmp/config/autorun.sh /tmp/config/autorun.sh.OLD
rm -f /tmp/config/autorun.sh
touch /tmp/config/autorun.sh
chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
cat <<EOF >>/tmp/config/autorun.sh
#!/bin/sh
# AUTORUN.SH - "Boot strap"
# This script forces the NAS to run "/etc/config/autorun.sh" at every startup (if this file exists). 
#
/etc/config/autorun.sh 
touch /tmp/autorun.ran
# done
EOF
echo "unmounting /tmp/config..."
umount /tmp/config
touch /etc/config/autorun.sh
chmod +x /etc/config/autorun.sh
cat <<EOF1 >>/etc/config/autorun.sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/config/autorun.sh - These commands run at every NAS Startup
#
#done
EOF1
echo "Edit /etc/config/autorun.sh for all further changes to the autostart procedure of the NAS.  
#done

Warning: This solution is specific to newer Intel-based QNAP NAS models. This solution is not correct for QNAP any ARM-based model, or older Intel-based NAS Models. You can modify the /etc/config/autorun.sh script to your requirements thereafter.

You can get your /etc/config/autorun.sh script to run your /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS script if you prefer.
Last edited by pwilson on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

pwilson wrote: Don't beat on your Hosts file. Simply fix your DNS Server, so you don't need to do that nonsense.

Please login to your NAS via SSH, login as "admin"and run the following commands.

mount -t ext2 $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0) /tmp/config
#!/bin/sh
# This script forces the NAS to run "/etc/config/autorun.sh" at every startup (if this file exists). 
#
/etc/config/autorun.sh 
touch /tmp/autorun.ran
# done
EOF
umount /tmp/config
#!/bin/sh
#
#
#done
EOF1
echo "Edit /etc/config/autorun.sh for all further changes to the autostart procedure of the NAS.  
#done

Warning: This solution is specific to newer Intel-based QNAP NAS models. This solution is not correct for QNAP any ARM-based model, or older Intel-based NAS Models. You can modify the /etc/config/autorun.sh script to your requirements thereafter.

You can get your /etc/config/autorun.sh script to run your /share/CACHEDEV_DATA/.qpkg/remoteNFS script if you prefer.
Thanks. but when I run your script, it report errors:

# mount -t ext2 $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0) /tmp/config
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde,
           missing codepage or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
#  dmesg | tail -5
[  198.004635] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[  198.012400] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[  200.586668] input: uinput-remotepad-rel_x_y as /devices/virtual/input/input7
[  211.620407] input: uinput-QTV as /devices/virtual/input/input8
[ 1965.253961] EXT2-fs (sde): error: can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sde.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:
pwilson wrote: Don't beat on your Hosts file. Simply fix your DNS Server, so you don't need to do that nonsense.

mount -t ext2 $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
#!/bin/sh
#
/etc/config/autorun.sh 
touch /tmp/autorun.ran
# done
EOF
umount /tmp/config
#!/bin/sh
#
#
#done
EOF1
#done

Thanks. but when I run your script, it report errors:

# mount -t ext2 $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0) /tmp/config
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde,
           missing codepage or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
#  dmesg | tail -5
[  198.004635] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[  198.012400] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[  200.586668] input: uinput-remotepad-rel_x_y as /devices/virtual/input/input7
[  211.620407] input: uinput-QTV as /devices/virtual/input/input8
[ 1965.253961] EXT2-fs (sde): error: can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sde.
Please furnish the output of:

parted /dev/sde print
This produces the following output here:

parted /dev/sde print
Model:  USB DISK MODULE (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 516MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      16.4kB  2228kB  2212kB  primary   ext2
 2      2228kB  250MB   248MB   primary   ext2
 3      250MB   498MB   248MB   primary   ext2
 4      498MB   516MB   17.4MB  extended
 5      498MB   507MB   8503kB  logical   ext2
 6      507MB   516MB   8897kB  logical   ext2
/dev/sde6 should be an Ext2 Filesystem.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

Hm, this time works! I missed a 6 in the mount command.
Thank you so much! learns a lot.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:Hm, this time works! I missed a 6 in the mount command.
Thank you so much! learns a lot.
Anytime.

Some of the information I shared comes from the QNAPedia article: Running Your Own Application at Startup. Unfortunately this article has not been updated to provide instructions for newer Intel-based models like your TS-451 or my TS-470.

I absolutely hate the nasty/unsupported QPKG kluge technique (it isn't supported by QNAP at all), so I always provide instructions for the supported MTD/Flash method.

Please note that my instructions you just followed do not follow any of the techniques listed in that QNAPedia article. (It is not a good idea to keep modifying the MTD/Flash area constantly (Flash fatigue), so I use the MTD/Flash method to "bootstrap" a new "autorun.sh" file at /etc/config/autorun.sh file to actually do the "startup" commands, as you can easily modify this file as often as you want (without worrying about Flash fatigue).

I deliberately chose this directory, as it gets backed up automatically on the NAS, which helps protect your script from corruption, as you can "restore" a previous version of it, it it gets corrupted, or if you make changes that don't work, and you want to revert to a previous version. (The NAS automatically maintains 10 weekly backups your /etc/config directory without any effort on your part).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

cxterm
New here

Post by cxterm »

Agree.
I like the way you provided to use autorun.sh. I aslo noticed the article you mentioned. But it says the MTD/Flash method is old and unsupported in my ts-451. Thanks for let me know I can still use this method.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

cxterm wrote:Agree.
I like the way you provided to use autorun.sh. I aslo noticed the article you mentioned. But it says the MTD/Flash method is old and unsupported in my ts-451. Thanks for let me know I can still use this method.
I have Wiki access, but I have chosen not to modify that QNAPedia article. Some idiot vandalized it to claim that BS about the QPKG method being supported (it is not supported), and to claim that the MTD/Flash method isn't supported (it is supported).

The only truth in that article as far as I'm concerned is that the MTD/Flash method is "old". It is "old" and it remains the only supported method, and has worked this way since the beginning of QNAP. Even my old TS-101 supported this method. That nasty QPKG method, requires a working QPKG subsystem, and is difficult to troubleshoot if the QPKG subsystem doesn't start properly for any reason.

Due to QNAPedia vandalism, I am not willing to "fix" any QNAPedia article.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pwilson wrote:Due to QNAPedia vandalism, I am not willing to "fix" any QNAPedia article.
Same here. Had to undo (not talking of Spam...) several edits.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”