Unable to access shared folders in Ubuntu on VPN

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
mtopo
New here

Unable to access shared folders in Ubuntu on VPN

Post by mtopo »

Hey all, I recently purchased a QNAP TS-853A and configured an Ubuntu VM in virtualization station. I can easily access the shares on my QNAP via CIFS, NFS, and SSHFS, however this breaks when I'm connected to PIA using the Linux client. My attempts end in a timeout, and I can no longer see my local 192.168.X.X IP when on the VPN. I believe the virtual network adapter on the VM is bridged.....

I realize this is a networking issue, something I'm probably missing in the virtual switch, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Any assistance would be much appreciated; thank you!
schumaku
Guru

Re: Unable to access shared folders in Ubuntu on VPN

Post by schumaku »

Nothing you can do on the Virtual Switch: Appears the VPN client is configured to send all traffic to the VPN Server "out there", including traffic intended for the local 192.168.x.x/24 network. Add these as an exclusion to the VPN client configuration.
mtopo
New here

Re: Unable to access shared folders in Ubuntu on VPN

Post by mtopo »

schumaku wrote:Nothing you can do on the Virtual Switch: Appears the VPN client is configured to send all traffic to the VPN Server "out there", including traffic intended for the local 192.168.x.x/24 network. Add these as an exclusion to the VPN client configuration.
Hey thanks for the reply! Oddly enough, I noticed if I deselect the VPN Kill switch option (disable network adapter if VPN session disconnects) then I can still access my shares while on VPN....

As a final workaround, I ended up editing my qBittorrent client to ONLY use the VPN tunnel adapter instead of "any". So.... I've sort of band-aided this to a degree of functionality :)

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”