File Permission Glitches after Software Update

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
ajohnsongmsi
New here

Re: File Permission Glitches after Software Update

Post by ajohnsongmsi »

Thanks for the update. This is all very disturbing. Even though I provided thorough and clear debug data pinpointing the permissions issue, it took 3 months of persistent nagging and escalation to get QNAP support to even recognize these major flaws in their firmware. I'm also worried to be running a pulled release. AND who knows what will happen when I update the next release. QNAP is not enterprise-level quality. I've already begun pricing new servers.
Gelfin
New here

Post by Gelfin »

I've got to say, I am really alarmed by the handling of this myself. I'm only running a refurbed 863 in my home rack (still a not-inconsiderable amount of money out of my personal wallet), so I'm in no position to nag them endlessly to sort things out, but a NAS has literally one core function, and this is it. That they not only missed something of this magnitude right in the center of their product's functionality, but ignored it for months on end, makes me wonder exactly what business QNAP thinks they're in. If I had delivered something with this sort of issue to production, I'd definitely fear for my job, and that'd be before I'd just sat on the issue and pretended it didn't exist for half a year.
iisti
New here

Post by iisti »

QTS 4.4.1.1064 Build 20190918 has been published. I don't know if this still has the issue as it's not clearly stated in the release notes that it would have been fixed (although a lot of things are left out of release notes, I know as I've worked in different software dev companies). I haven't tested yet.

My workaround was to disable Advanced Folder Permissions in Privilege -> Shared Folders -> Advanced Permissions with TVS-1282 firmware 4.3.6.0993. I didn't need fine grained permissions as the permissions are handled by client host.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”