Files deleted via CIFS mount are not shown in recycle bin

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
rauhfasertapete
New here

Files deleted via CIFS mount are not shown in recycle bin

Post by rauhfasertapete »

Hi everybody,

I am using a CIFS mount as follows to access my QNAP NAS.

Code: Select all

mount -t cifs -o rw,credentials=FILE,uid=XXX,gid=YYY //NAS/SHARE MOUNT-FOLDER
Files I delete via this mount are not shown in the recycle bin of the NAS (@Recycle). When I delete files via a Windows client or the NAS' web UI these files show up in the recycle bin properly.

Do you have an idea what my mistake might be?

Thank you, Alex
OneCD
Guru

Re: Files deleted via CIFS mount are not shown in recycle bin

Post by OneCD »

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, the behaviour you describe sounds correct.

https://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat2/en/n ... le_bin.htm
QNAP wrote:This feature only supports file deletion via Samba, AFP, FTP and File Station.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rauhfasertapete
New here

Hi OneCD, thanks for your swift response. I thought Samba and CIFS would be kind of the same, and hoped that using the standard Linux CIFS client[1] would work. (I think that SMBv2/3 is the only protocol I have enabled for file sharing on my QNAP.)

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Ah, silly me. I never did bother to learn the difference between them. I switched to NFS years ago and haven't used SMB (or CIFS) since. :oops:

Maybe someone else has some experience with this?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rauhfasertapete
New here

Hi OneCD, oh I just realized that the recycle bin on the NAS is actually working, at least when I delete files in the mounted folder via command line. Sorry for bothering you :(

What I am still curious about: before I had tried to delete files in the mounted folder via my Gnome desktop (Nautilus file explorer). In this case the deleted files did not to show up in the recycle bin of the NAS but in my local/Gnome desktop's recycle bin instead. I guess this works as intended/designed.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

rauhfasertapete wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm What I am still curious about: before I had tried to delete files in the mounted folder via my Gnome desktop (Nautilus file explorer). In this case the deleted files did not to show up in the recycle bin of the NAS but in my local/Gnome desktop's recycle bin instead. I guess this works as intended/designed.
Sounds like the files are being placed into the Gnome recycle bin.

What happens if you bypass the recycle bin and delete the files permanently instead? <shift+delete>

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”