Some folders not visible, but can cd to them

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
steenbras
Starting out

Some folders not visible, but can cd to them

Post by steenbras »

I have a TS-453A. I recently upgraded to 4.5.1.1540, and I think this may have been when a weird issue started...

I noticed that a few shows just disappeared from my plex which mounts a media directory through NFS on the NAS. Investigating it, I noticed that not all subfolders are visible on the mounted directory. Something like 1/3 of folders don't show up on an

Code: Select all

ls
command. I tried creating a folder, which is not listable, but I can change to the directory, as you can see below:

ls -l | grep -i escape
❯ mkdir Escape
❯ ls -l | grep -i escape
❯ ls -ld Escape
drwxrwx--- 2 abc abc 4096 Jan 10 15:49 Escape
❯ ls -l | grep -i emergency
drwxrwx---  3 abc abc 4096 Jan 10 12:18 Emergency
❯ ls -ld Emergency
drwxrwx--- 3 abc abc 4096 Jan 10 12:18 Emergency
If I do a ls or ls -l, Emergency shows up but Escape doesn't. Yet both folders have identical permissions. Anyone else having this issue? I'm stuck - no idea how to troubleshoot. Is this the firmware upgrade?
steenbras
Starting out

Re: Some folders not visible, but can cd to them

Post by steenbras »

I ended up creating a new share (the one I was using was the Multimedia share) and moving the content there. That share now behaves. I am still none the wiser as to why the Multimedia share stopped behaving.
CarbonPepper
Getting the hang of things

Re: Some folders not visible, but can cd to them

Post by CarbonPepper »

I've recently had similar problems in the Multimedia folder and recreating the share using "restore default folders" is the prescribed fix, but did not work in my case, even with moving the files out and back again.

What I found was that if you ssh to the NAS and visit Multimedia, for some reason the execute bit was missing from some folders. This was not visible from a client machine, only by ssh.
drw-rw-rw-

(Without an execute bit, a folder doesn't work as a folder.)

chmod -R 777 /share/Multimedia
was effective as a fix. I am not sure of the root cause. Certainly no-one deliberately made the change. I suspect something running on the NAS did this.
"If QNAP made airbags, they’d test new versions using your face."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------__
TVS-471 with 4x WD Red 3Tb. Used for business. Stability valued over features.
Mix of clients: Ubuntu Linux, Mac OS, Windows 10.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”