NFS with QNAP TS-109/209/409 PROs and TViX-NMT(PoPCorn, IST)

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
AndyChuo
Experience counts

NFS with QNAP TS-109/209/409 PROs and TViX-NMT(PoPCorn, IST)

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi Guys,

I have found a very clear, detailed guide for mounting NFS from your TviX or NMT (Popcore hour, IST)
onto our NAS, although the guide was based on TS-409 Pro but it can also be applied to TS-109 Pro and
TS-209 Pro. Here's the link

Thanks

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
mr_hyde
Easy as a breeze

Re: NFS with QNAP TS-109/209/409 PROs and TViX-NMT(PoPCorn, IST)

Post by mr_hyde »

QNAPAndy wrote:Hi Guys,

I have found a very clear, detailed guide for mounting NFS from your TviX or NMT (Popcore hour, IST)
onto our NAS, although the guide was based on TS-409 Pro but it can also be applied to TS-109 Pro and
TS-209 Pro. Here's the link

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

since couple of weeks i got problems with the nfs connection. (No firmware change on NAS or Popcorn Hour). The standard nfs connection does not work anymore. The popcornhour finds the nas, it shows up all nfs shares and i cann connect to the share. But when i want to go through the subdirectories to view images or other files it does not work.

When i connect to the nas via nfs-tcp:// it works fine as before. It seems to be that it is not possible to get a connection through udp which is the default of the PCH.
QNAP TS-453A
4 * Hitachi 3 TB HDD (RAID 5)
FW: 4.5.1 1540
drfruit
Easy as a breeze

Post by drfruit »

mr_hyde wrote: since couple of weeks i got problems with the nfs connection. (No firmware change on NAS or Popcorn Hour). The standard nfs connection does not work anymore. The popcornhour finds the nas, it shows up all nfs shares and i cann connect to the share. But when i want to go through the subdirectories to view images or other files it does not work.

When i connect to the nas via nfs-tcp:// it works fine as before. It seems to be that it is not possible to get a connection through udp which is the default of the PCH.
Maybe you should do a firmware upgrade on your Popcorn Hour and try using SMB.
I do not use NFS anymore on my Popcorn Hour A-100 (and also on my TViX M-6500a, by the way). The SMB connection in the latest PCH firmware is fast enough to stream 1080p full-HD video and network browsing is easy.
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

drfruit wrote:Maybe you should do a firmware upgrade on your Popcorn Hour and try using SMB.
I do not use NFS anymore on my Popcorn Hour A-100 (and also on my TViX M-6500a, by the way). The SMB connection in the latest PCH firmware is fast enough to stream 1080p full-HD video and network browsing is easy.
Yes,this is true but when I use SMB it keeps my disks spinning when I'm only listen to MP radio. With NFS my disk do spin down...
mr_hyde
Easy as a breeze

Post by mr_hyde »

Yes,this is true but when I use SMB it keeps my disks spinning when I'm only listen to MP radio. With NFS my disk do spin down...
Same observation here. I use the latest official PCH firmware (i am not a beta tester :-( )
QNAP TS-453A
4 * Hitachi 3 TB HDD (RAID 5)
FW: 4.5.1 1540
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

Yup..this started with the latest PCH firmware, so for me a reason to stick with NFS although it is a little slower than Samba at the moment. The strange thing with NFS is that in the System Logs/ On line users I always see the the PCH, even when it is powered off.. :?:
Sparkss
Getting the hang of things

Post by Sparkss »

Here is something that I posted in another thread, that appears to be relevant here :
Sparkss wrote:UPDATE : unfs (ipkg unfs3) works fantastic. Here are the speeds that I got to our Dune :

SMB : 9.6 MB/s
NFS (native QNAP) : 8.8 MB/s
UNFS (ipkg) : 16 MB/s

I did pretty much no tuning of unfs and still achieved well over a 60% increase over SMB, not to mention the lesser overhaed (NFS vs SMB) at the media player which will translate into better playback handling. I am pretty sure that if I wanted to play around with knfs (kernel based NFS - ipkg nfs-utils) that I could maybe get another MB/s or two out of it, but there are some link handling limitations to knfs that don't fit into my file system organizational scheme, so I actually prefer unfs. Plus I use it mainly for streamnig media and @ 16 MB/s I am well above the current BD specs for streaming the full BDMV structure/BD ISO.

The TS-509 is now easily meeting my expectations, albeit with some work on my end. Even with little out-of-the-box working as I had hoped, I am still very happy with the overall outcome. Not to mention that I do like more control over things than the GUI and built-in services provided. But I do like the GUI for some of the monitoring components (even though I also installed the cli versions)

Note that the Dune has a "read speed test" function available for any file and that is what I used for my tests. Hope this info helps someone :)
mrkati
Starting out

Post by mrkati »

The same problem here I can see the sared folder via nsf on ts-809 but can not access any files inside, so should I use nsf-tcp (this did not work for me).

I plan to stream BD structure from nas and it seems that neither SMB nor NFS will enable the necessary connection speed, right?
Last edited by mrkati on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

KL643 wrote:The strange thing with NFS is that in the System Logs/ On line users I always see the the PCH, even when it is powered off.. :?:
Nothing strange at all - nfs is a state-less protocol - the nfs server has no indication when a nfs client silently disappears from the network.

Teach your PCH (or any other nfs client) to properly dismount all nfs shares - and you will find the PCH won't be longer online then...

-Kurt.
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

schumaku wrote:Teach your PCH (or any other nfs client) to properly dismount all nfs shares - and you will find the PCH won't be longer online then...

-Kurt.
Hi Kurt, I dumped my PHC a long time ago (old thread)...I'm using a AsRock 330 ION now for a while. So no NFS problems for me.

BR,
KL643

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”