[HOW TO] run LMS 8.x in a docker container

oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: [HOW TO] run LMS 7.9 in a docker container

Post by oyvindo »

TreeBark wrote:I have a really basic question: Does running Logitech Media Server in a Docker container avoid the Bash security vulnerability in SSODS that caused QNAP to drop support for LMS in the App Center in the first place? Or to put it another way, does the Docker container version still run SSODS?
LMS is run in a container without the use of SSODS.
ImageImageImage
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

oyvindo wrote:LMS is run in a container without the use of SSODS.
Great. Thanks.
jjvdgeer
Starting out

Post by jjvdgeer »

I have a TS-431P and I installed LMS in a container using these instructions. However, the suggested container did not work, this being an ARM model. However, I ended up using syphr/logitechmediaserver which installed fine. I can now play music, however I had a problem with gaps of a few seconds every minute or so. I noticed that in the log file there is a line like this:

[17-10-23 18:34:32.0255] Slim::Networking::Discovery::Players::_players_error (146) Unable to get players: Connect timed out: Transport endpoint is not connected

around the time a gap occurs. Does anyone see these lines in the logfile and/or know what is causing them? I did not have them when I used the old QPKG on my TS-219P II.

As an experiment I also modified the DockerFile of justifiably/logitechmediaserver to use a armhf image (FROM arm32v7/buildpack-deps:jessie-curl). It build and run as well but it also had both the log entries and the gaps in the music, so no change there.

I heard the gaps both playing a Duet and a Touch.

Curiously I listen to music now without the gaps, but the above lines still occur, even though I've not changed anything. It might be related to which flacs I play? (somewhat later:) No, I now play the exact same music that gave me problems last week but without problems. Pretty sure it wasn't CPU or network last week either.
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get LMS 7.9.0 up and running in a Docker container without much difficulty. The trickiest parts were getting the folder shares correct, then setting the time on the container via SSH.

However, one thing I still can't figure out is the behavior of LMS plug-ins. The default state of the container loads dozens of LMS plug-ins that I don't use, and therefore wish to disable so they don't consume any resources. I can go in and disable LMS plug-ins, but then whenever the container restarts, all the plug-ins go back to their original state. How do I get it to behave differently? The attached file shows my folder share setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Your state path is very odd (and complex). I have no way to check if this is correct or not, but it seems reasonable to assume that this path may have an error somewhere, hence the containers inability to store changes you make with plugins.
My state path is like this: /share/Public/LMS-Temp/state
Is there any particular reason why you chose such a long and complex path?
Regretfully, there is no easy way to change this. You have to reinstall the container to do that. But once you know how, it's fairly quick.
It's also a good advice to make a backup copy of your state folder from time to time as you will otherwise lose all your settings should you ever have to reinstall the container.
ImageImageImage
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

I didn't choose the path for /state. Apparently it was created automatically by the container or LMS, and I'm now guessing that's because I hadn't specified a path for /state when creating the container. I'll try reinstalling the container with a specified path for /state.

Regarding backup of the /state folder, if /state points to a location outside of the container (like the music and playlist folders), why would all the settings be lost when reinstalling the container?
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Good question. Maybe I'm wrong. But I guess in case of a RAID failure (like I had once), it came in handy to have a backup :)
ImageImageImage
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

I'm happy to report that reinstalling the container with a specified path to /state outside of the container now appears to let me disable plug-ins, and it retains the settings after restarting the container and even restarting the QNAP.

Thanks for your help.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Excellent! :)
ImageImageImage
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

By the way, I've also noticed that the response of the LMS interface on my Squeezebox devices is noticeably faster than it was when using the SSODS installation. I definitely recommend switching to the container, as it also avoids having to deal with the fix for the bash security vulnerability.
Nethawk
New here

Post by Nethawk »

Thanks much for these instructions. While I'm still working through problems I just want you to know that the instructions for changing the container timezone may not work for some of us, tzdata is no longer packaged with ubuntu. I haven't found a workaround (and am about 15 years rusty on unix/linux) but not terribly concerned.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Nethawk wrote:... tzdata is no longer packaged with ubuntu. I haven't found a workaround (and am about 15 years rusty on unix/linux) but not terribly concerned.
Still shown here: https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/c ... ity/tzdata

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

For everyone's information there is a QPKG of lms. No need for SSODS and no need for docker. Just search the forum for it.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Nethawk
New here

Post by Nethawk »

Thank you once again for your guide. This is my first Qnap (owned for a week), first experience with docker containers and a long time away from linux. I learned enough from my mistakes to have had a great time setting this up and now know way more about containers than I ever thought I would.

I have three listening zones with combination of direct connection to preamp, chromecasts and squeezebox touch (or all three) as we have multiple mobile and fixed playback apps. After setting up Emby for my movie library and DVR functionality I dove into how I might distribute music to my listening destinations. I gotta say, Roon Server is a beautiful thing - absolute magic for connection to just about anything, superb format support, a beautiful and immersive interface and a great mobile app - but that $499 lifetime license deterred me. If only I knew they'd be around for a few years. Anyway, I've always been a fan of LMS and squeezebox touch so decided I'd dust off the old squeezeboxes I have and give this a try. I read through the option of installing lms via .qpkg but preferred the container route as a noob, 'cause erase & start over is a great way to learn. It didn't take too long to set up, these instructions are thorough, and at least for the playback piece I've now got very similar Roon functionality and can play to all zones (synced even, which I couldn't get Roon to do). This will be ultra convenient no matter where or when I want to listen, although it does require a couple of apps.

I wish the Roon folks the best of luck, they have a great product and I hear are great guys. At least for now though oyvindo is the hero of the day. This is the absolute best.

Happy Holidays!
TreeBark
Starting out

Post by TreeBark »

Don wrote:For everyone's information there is a QPKG of lms. No need for SSODS and no need for docker. Just search the forum for it.
If you're referring to the QPKG for LogitechMediaServer v7.7.2, I believe that includes SSODS with the Shellshock bash vulnerability. (Isn't that why QNAP removed it from the official app list?) You can manually go in and fix the bash vulnerability, but that's more work than just installing the docker container version.

If you're referring to an newer version, please provide a link to it.

Return to “Container Station”