SOLUTION: Pi-Hole running in a container on QNAP Container Station

oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: SOLUTION: Pi-Hole running in a container on QNAP Container Station

Post by oyvindo »

Well, I guess that's the way Pi-Hole was designed. Mine is like that too. But I keep track of client IP<-->HOST mapping using Fing.
ImageImageImage
DIY_glenn
Getting the hang of things

Post by DIY_glenn »

Thanks for the writeup!

Unfortunately I have some issues while running the Pi-Hole setup:
Sometimes "Preparing to configure resolvconf (amd64)" hangs forever (around 46% I think).

Now it's stuck at "Configuring resolvconf (amd64)" at 79%.

I've tried deleting and recreating the LXC five times now. Always stuck at 79%.

The IP is reserved, and I changed MAC in the LXC each time to make sure it is correct.

Any idea what this could be?
DIY_glenn
Getting the hang of things

Post by DIY_glenn »

Had to run "sudo apt install resolvconf" first and then I choose "Y" when there was an issue.
Pi-Hole installer could be run afterwards.

Any way to check which DNS's are being used for a query?
I've added Pi-Hole's addresses for primary IPv4 and IPv6 in my Google Wifi DNS setup, and set 1.1.1.1 and 2606:4700:4700::1111 as secondary (Cloudflare).

How can I test that everything is OK? I did immediately notice that my pages were ad-free, so it does work, just wanna make sure I have everything setup correctly.
jasonin951
Starting out

Post by jasonin951 »

oyvindo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am Well, I guess that's the way Pi-Hole was designed. Mine is like that too. But I keep track of client IP<-->HOST mapping using Fing.
It has something to do with the virtualization of it because when I run pihole on an actual raspberry pi it shows the hostnames correctly. I just haven't been able to pin down what the issue is.
Haskell
Starting out

Post by Haskell »

Thank you for the helpful post
Parksy81
New here

Post by Parksy81 »

jasonin951 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:35 am
oyvindo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am Well, I guess that's the way Pi-Hole was designed. Mine is like that too. But I keep track of client IP<-->HOST mapping using Fing.
It has something to do with the virtualization of it because when I run pihole on an actual raspberry pi it shows the hostnames correctly. I just haven't been able to pin down what the issue is.
Hi Jasonin951 - did you ever find a solution to the problem with internal name resolution using Pi Hole via a QNAP container (LXC) I've tried quite a few things, seems that if I SSH into the Pi Hole and run nslookup it fails to resolve internal names due to using nameservers of Google!!!

This is my only fault with this setup, within DHCP on Pi Hole and all logs/reports just shows as 'unknown' or 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' IP addess!!
Parksy81
New here

Post by Parksy81 »

Well after deleting my LXC containers, re-installing several times I was still getting the error of not resolving local hostnames on the network. If I manually edited resolv.conf and removed the reference to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 only leaving nameserver 127.0.0.1 the local name resolution worked. The network / Dashboard in PI Hole resolved as expected and showed local hostnames.

The problem was when the LXC Ubuntu Pi Hole was rebooted or restarted, whether by container or QNAP, this file would revert back to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and therefore break local DNS names in Pi Hole.

I found that removing the entries in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base (leaving it empty) and leaving only 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head resovled the problem for me.

My setup is QNAP NAS, LXC Ubuntu Container, static IP in bridge mode. PI Hole is DHCP/DNS as I disabled this on my router - a sky SR102 which does not let you change DNS for it's built in DHCP.

This is now working, for me, as expected!! Hope it helps someone.
Last edited by Parksy81 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

@Parksy81, My resolve.conf contained only the following:

Code: Select all

nameserver 192.168.0.1
which is my LAN Default Gateway.

I tried to change it to nameserver 127.0.0.1 and then restart (reboot) Pi-Hole from the Web interface. But that made no difference! It still fails to resolve hostnames.
(Restaring Pi-Hole did not revert the setting. 127.0.0.0 is still the only setting in /etc/resolve.conf)

Any idea what I've done wrong?
ImageImageImage
yanky79
First post

Post by yanky79 »

I have successfully set up the PiHole following the guide a the beginning of this thread. It was very helpful (only thought is to include what is happening with each of the commands with their arguments, but that is a minor suggestion). I am experiencing the same issue others have noted where local hostnames are not resolving - specifically the local host name of the container. I have tried editing the hosts file:

sudo vim /etc/hosts
{this starts vim editor in super user mode

i
{this changes the mode from command to insert}

127.0.0.1     PiHole
{this is the local hostname of the container (PiHole in my case)}
{ESC Key}
{this changes the vim editor back to command mode}

:wq
{Colon is the command key, w is write and q is quit}

I also tried adding my router ip to the /etc/resolv.conf file and reordering the lookup table. But when doing a nslookup for any internal machine I would still get an error.

Either:

** server can't find {localmachinename}: NXDOMAIN
or

Non-authoritative answer:
** can't find {localmachinename}: No Answer
jasonin951
Starting out

Post by jasonin951 »

Parksy81 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:25 am Well after deleting my LXC containers, re-installing several times I was still getting the error of not resolving local hostnames on the network. If I manually edited resolv.conf and removed the reference to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 only leaving nameserver 127.0.0.1 the local name resolution worked. The network / Dashboard in PI Hole resolved as expected and showed local hostnames.

The problem was when the LXC Ubuntu Pi Hole was rebooted or restarted, whether by container or QNAP, this file would revert back to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and therefore break local DNS names in Pi Hole.

I found that removing the entries in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base (leaving it empty) and leaving only 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head resovled the problem for me.

My setup is QNAP NAS, LXC Ubuntu Container, static IP in bridge mode. PI Hole is DHCP/DNS as I disabled this on my router - a sky SR102 which does not let you change DNS for it's built in DHCP.

This is now working, for me, as expected!! Hope it helps someone.
Thanks so much! I will have to try this tonight.
Parksy81
New here

Post by Parksy81 »

oyvindo wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 pm @Parksy81, My resolve.conf contained only the following:

nameserver 192.168.0.1
which is my LAN Default Gateway.

I tried to change it to nameserver 127.0.0.1 and then restart (reboot) Pi-Hole from the Web interface. But that made no difference! It still fails to resolve hostnames.
(Restaring Pi-Hole did not revert the setting. 127.0.0.0 is still the only setting in /etc/resolve.conf)

Any idea what I've done wrong?
Hey - I've recently had to rebuild due to changing network range, ran through my previous post to get me back working again! One thing I forgot to add was I also needed to re-generat the resolv.conf file by running

sudo resolvconf -u

Thanks
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

@Parksy81
I tried to run :

sudo resolvconf -u
But all I got was this:

sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu-xenial-1
So, now what?
ImageImageImage
EVOAXL
First post

Post by EVOAXL »

oyvindo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 am @Parksy81
I tried to run :

sudo resolvconf -u
But all I got was this:

sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu-xenial-1
So, now what?
Hi, oyvindo,
i don't know if you have managed to solve the problem by yourself in these past few months, but i found that just restarting the system from the web panel, made the trick for me. Like you, i followed Parksy81 precious tips and when i tried to re-generate the resolv.conf file, it gave me the same error. So i tried to restart pi-hole system and the file was correctly generated. Now i can see my devices hostnames instead of ips. 🙂
blessa
New here

Post by blessa »

All pi-hole installations I saw is using a container.

My question is: Is it possible to install directly on QNAP OS ? Why use a container if you can install it into QNAP linux?

Did anyone tried it?

Thank you
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

EVOAXL wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 pm Hi, oyvindo,
i don't know if you have managed to solve the problem by yourself in these past few months, but i found that just restarting the system from the web panel, made the trick for me. Like you, i followed Parksy81 precious tips and when i tried to re-generate the resolv.conf file, it gave me the same error. So i tried to restart pi-hole system and the file was correctly generated. Now i can see my devices hostnames instead of ips. 🙂
No, I made several restarts from the Dashboard. I even flushed the log and restarted the DNS, but still - all I have is IP's
Are you running your's in a container?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Container Station”