Debian Buster LXC: passwd on standard image not working?

Axel.F
New here

Debian Buster LXC: passwd on standard image not working?

Post by Axel.F »

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with the debian buster LXC image on the QNAP container station (in container image search under recommended --> debian buster, version 10 debian-buster:latest).

I created a fresh machine using above image, logged in and created a new user. Then I try to change the password for that user...

Code: Select all

root@Debian10Basic:~# useradd -m -U -s /bin/bash testuser
root@Debian10Basic:~# passwd testuser
passwd: password updated successfully
root@Debian10Basic:~#
As a response, I would expect a prompt with something like "New password:"... But no... I only get above response "password upates successfully". :(

With the debian-jessi:latest LXC containers this worked as expected (i.e. a prompt where I was able to enter the password).

Interesting side effect: with the station's LXC console, the root login now does not work anymore (I did a "passwd" as root.... bad mistake ;) ), but now I can use a differnt account to login. Which has a password. But I don't need to enter it... I just need to type the username + enter ... :shock:

Any hints?

Thanks!!
BR,
Alex
mseewald
Starting out

Re: Debian Buster LXC: passwd on standard image not working?

Post by mseewald »

Please see here for a solution to this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=354&t=129132
Axel.F
New here

Post by Axel.F »

Hi all,

thanks for the link MSeewald, but actually this only describes the auto-login issue ("side effect") - not the issue with the passwd tool itself.

I also filed a ticket with support, which pointed me to PAM. After some more research on my side, it looks like when adding the PAM profile "Unix Authentication" (cf. pam-auth-update command), passwd behaves normal again.
I wonder whether I was the only one with this problem (Debian Buster) or whether this is a general issue with the container provided by QNAP.

BR,
Alex
toxiroxi
Starting out

Post by toxiroxi »

Hello Alex,

i am having the same problem. Would you mind sharing more details or even the syntax for adding the PAM profile to help me?

Thanks a lot,
phreichmuth
Know my way around

Post by phreichmuth »

Alex, how did you get the debian buster image onto the container station?
I can't find anything different than the old debian 8 jessie image, whichs upgrade to buster fails.
TS-253D, QTS 5.0
TS-128A, QTS 5.0

Return to “Container Station”