Cannot connect a Container Station to VLAN Virtual Switch

zqush
New here

Cannot connect a Container Station to VLAN Virtual Switch

Post by zqush »

I have two nics on my TS-453Be. I have setup a VLAN (VLAN 44) on adapter 2 and I'm able to create a Virtual Switch which connects to vlan 44 (I call it Virtual Switch 2-V44). As you can see on the diagram it's working fine and it gets an IP. However regardless of anything that I do, I am unable to connect one of my Containers (openhab) to that v44 switch. See attachment. What I want is to connect the red line.

I have tried changing the settings in the configuration of that virtual switch (see attachment)... I go through it selecting the VLAN 44 switch and the container that I want to have connected to it, but nothing changes and it remains connected to the one it is currently connected to.

It's frustrating. Am I doing something wrong or is this the same bug that others are talking about here?

QNAP, any fix for this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zqush
New here

Re: Cannot connect a Container Station to VLAN Virtual Switch

Post by zqush »

One more thing... In Container Station, there's no option to select the VLAN Virtual Switch... it doesn't show in the list. (See attachment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kbyrd
Starting out

Post by kbyrd »

I have this working. on QTS 4.4.3

My setup:
One of my QNAP adapters is named Trunk. It is plugged into a switch port that has no default VLAN ID, so all traffic must be tagged. I added a few VLANs to Trunk
interface settings.png
In Container Station, I chose Bridge mode networking and Trunk as the interface. As you say, the Trunk (VLAN: 1) is not a choice here.
container settings.png
I saved the container settings, then went over to Network & Virtual Switches I found the switch that was connected to my container. In the image below the container's adapter is called unifi_Virtual Adapter 1.
virtual switch settings.png
I then edited that Virtual Switch's settings. From this settings screen, I can select Trunk (VLAN: 1). I also renamed the virtual switch to Container VLAN 1 so I can identify it later.
container switch settings.png
When I started my container, it got a DHCP address in the VLAN 1 subnet and I was able to talk to it on that IP address.
kbyrd
Starting out

Post by kbyrd »

UPDATE: The method I describe above does not survive a reboot of the NAS. On reboot, the auto-started container ends up connected to an entirely new Virtual Switch which is wired to the main interface, not a virtual interface.

I swear I tested reboots before and thought it worked. I guess not.
zqush
New here

Post by zqush »

Thanks for your reply @kbyrd. I had already tried the method you described and couldn't even get to work prior to a reboot, let alone after.

Can anyone describe a way to do this? Perhaps by editing some setup / config file in docker?
C2331
New here

Post by C2331 »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

C2331 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:02 am Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this?
obviously not. best to raise a ticket with QNAP.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
bryum
First post

Post by bryum »

I am using 5.0.0.1828 and the problem is still alive.
Is there any progress about it?

Return to “Container Station”