hanysys@gmail.com
New here

Ubuntu station stuttering issue

Post by hanysys@gmail.com »

Hi,

I have
Qnap TS-453D with 8G Ram
QTS v : 4.5.2.1594

I've enabled Ubuntu station with Ubuntu 20.04, I'm using it on my screen with the HDMI connected to the NAS, but since then I always notice some stuttering and dropped frames in the graphics on the Ubuntu UI, and specially clearly shown when running any video from YouTube or any other website.
It seems like an issue with the graphics drivers but I can't be sure, so have any one faced similar problem or have a fix in mind, I just want to use it like a normal PC.
Josvls
Starting out

Re: Ubuntu station stuttering issue

Post by Josvls »

Hi,

Yes, it's a problem with the video driver loaded in Ubuntu 20.04.

Inside Ubuntu, check the content of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf" to see if there is a line like "Driver "vesa"" because the bug is here... should be "Driver "intel"".
Do not try to modify the file directly because after each reboot of Ubuntu it is modified again.

I have just opened a support ticket about this but, please, if you can open another one it would be great.
hanysys@gmail.com
New here

I checked the file, and the Driver is vesa not intel as you said, If modified the file directly would it solve the problem untill the next restart ?

How can I open a support ticket for this issue ? In the ticket should I state my problem only or should I state the Driver issue as you said?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

first search result for " QNAP ticket"
https://www.qnap.com/en/support-ticket/
hanysys@gmail.com
New here

Ok, I opened a ticket, hope they check soon
Josvls
Starting out

Post by Josvls »

hanysys@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 pm I checked the file, and the Driver is vesa not intel as you said, If modified the file directly would it solve the problem untill the next restart ?
I'm afraid not
hanysys@gmail.com
New here

Unfortunately after lots of mails between me and the support team, this is thier final reply :
"According to the developer's feedback, ubuntu 20.04 and ubuntu 18.04 use different gpu drivers, but ubuntu 20.04 is limited by the kernel version currently used by the NAS, so the system can only choose general drivers, so there are limitations."
:(
hanysys@gmail.com
New here

Seems that this issue is now fixed after the latest QTS 5.0 update which is using linux kernel 5.10

Return to “Container Station”