Hardware accelerated video transcoding in docker container

DarkDiamond
New here

Hardware accelerated video transcoding in docker container

Post by DarkDiamond »

I recently found this [https://github.com/donmelton/other_video_transcoding] very nice tool to transcode video files using ffmpeg and Handbrake. This is the version that allows hardware accelerated transcoding, and as I have a QNAP TS-251+ which in theory has this capability I would like to use a Docker container in which I install these scripts to transcode my videos to save a little space on my drives. Now I just need to know how to enable the container to access the hardware acceleration module. How do I do that? Everything else I should be able to get working, but if anyone has some experience to share, then I don't have to look on StackOverFlow and SuperUser so often.

Thanks in advance
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Hardware accelerated video transcoding in docker container

Post by dolbyman »

Afaik, GPU pass-down only works with external GPU's and those will not fit in your NAS
DarkDiamond
New here

Post by DarkDiamond »

That is nothing I like to hear and definitely nothing I expected to hear either. They advertise this model with the feature, and then I am not able to use it as I want to? That is definitely unexpected to me.
But if that's the case, I can't do anything about it. When I create a container, I am able to choose from a variety of devices I want to be reachable from within the container, and you say the onboard graphics card is not one of them? I have a screenshot of the available devices attached.
Geräte Containerstation.png
Another thought, as far as I understand it (and I am very new to all this container/Docker stuff) the QNAP OS itself only runs within a container on the hardware, is that correct? Shouldn't I be able to just install the docker with the tools mendtioned above right "next to" this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The QTS runs on bare metal .. not within a container .. no

If you want to inquire/complain you can always contact QNAP support (they do not come here)
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

DarkDiamond wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:57 am .....
They advertise this model with the feature, and then I am not able to use it as I want to? That is definitely unexpected to me.
QNAP provides their own apps for the things they advertise. Transcoding is possible with the QNAP supplied apps, along with a couple of programs specifically written for QTS.

QTS is not a full Linux distro, QTS is a crippled embedded distro of Linux - just like the version of Linux that is run on many home routers.

It sounds like your expectations and reality are not really well aligned.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
DarkDiamond
New here

Post by DarkDiamond »

So what happens if i ssh into my QNAP and run docker from that shell instead of the container station, do you know if that works? Because the shares I see when I use the normal file explorer on a system and search for network drives, I find the folders mapped in the "share" folder I see when I ssh into the NAS. In this console, couldn't I use the docker command to make the container use all the hardware I want it to? I understand that that probably violates the terms and conditions of QNAP, but as the device is already quite old, that doesn't matter to me.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

lots of threads about docker via SSH or compose, nothing violates any terms and conditions

viewtopic.php?t=148118
viewtopic.php?t=133587
DarkDiamond
New here

Post by DarkDiamond »

That's good news, then I'm going to read some of those. Do you already know where I find something about hardware passthrough, or do I need to search for it myself? Which would of cause be no problem, but if you can tell me where to start, you could save me hours of work.

Return to “Container Station”