Docker n00b - Tips appreciated

nasnoob
Getting the hang of things

Docker n00b - Tips appreciated

Post by nasnoob »

Hello,

I have been running Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/Jackett from 3rd party .qpkgs from the QnapClub repo.

Today i decided to try replicate my Radarr setup using Docker.

I'm utterly out of my depth but i gave it a shot anyway. Apologies in advance if I have got any terminology wrong or asked anything stupid.

After an hour of creating and deleting almost 30 containers I managed to get it up and running.

What i'd like help on is how to make my setup efficient and secure.

I currently have the below Shared Folders on my NAS in bold with sub folders marked in arrows:

Downloads
>Torrent
>>Completed
>>Incomplete

Multimedia
>Movies
>TV Shows

Backup
>Radarr Config

I have also created an overall Shared Folder called All Shares which contains symlinks to each of the shared folders above

In my Radarr container I have mounted as follows

Host Volume-->Mount
Allshares/Downloads --> share/Downloads
Allshares/Backup --> share/Backup
Allshares/Multimedia --> share/Multimedia

I originally tried to map Allshares-->/Share but i couldnt see any of the symlinked sub directories from within the container (not sure why)

1. With my setup as above, will the container recognise each of the directories as part of a single share? i.e. so it wont copy and paste files between them and will just repoint the location instead?

2. Is there a better directory structure I should use? and is it bad practice to reuse folder names that may already be used in the host directory i.e /share?

3. For now I have mapped the PGID my PUID to my admin account. When creating a container is it best to create a completely new User account with restricted permissions? or is this overkill?

4. I used all the default parameters given from the Linuxserver version of Radarr. Should I leave these as is? Or are there any tweaks I should do?

4. My next step is to try replicate my Transmission setup in docker and connect it to my Radarr container. What is the best way to create folders for this? Create a brand new shared folder?

5. How do i reference the NAS host ip from within a container? I believe "localhost" inside a container will refer to the container ip? Should i just use the NAS IP directly instead i.e. 191.1.1.1?

So many questions and so few answers, i'm hoping someone can help with the above and offer any advice on docker in general?

Many thanks
peelos
Been there, done that

Re: Docker n00b - Tips appreciated

Post by peelos »

was looking to do the same - did you make any progress since this?
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
atrament
New here

Post by atrament »

Same here - if anyone managed to get this working, please share!
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

What I have been doing to run apps that have custom configs and need updated at times is to create a Debian container and then install the app. Yes I know it’s more overhead then needed and kinda goes against the idea. But it makes it where I can update my application without rebuilding all of the customizations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

https://wiki.servarr.com/docker-guide

planning to try to follow this and adapt for QNAP eventually!

I guess you could spinup a virtual machine and install the docker images there, it does kind of defeat the point of containers but I guess its a matter of that or trying to figure out the QNAP container station docker quirks..
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware

Return to “Container Station”