Issues with LXC Ubuntu container after disabling admin user

Maniac84
New here

Issues with LXC Ubuntu container after disabling admin user

Post by Maniac84 »

I've come across a weird issue on my QNAP yesterday. I logged in to my qnap with the original admin account, and after Qnap started nagging me about the fact that I am still using the default admin account, I decided to change that. So I created a new admin user, set the permissions and disabled the original admin account.

But now I am seeing issues with one of my containers, LXC Ubuntu 16.04 running Pi-Hole, it won't start up. It is just going in loop, not able to login (I think), and giving me this error:

Code: Select all

Connected to tty 1                                                                                                                                                    
Type <Ctrl+a q> to exit the console, <Ctrl+a Ctrl+a> to enter Ctrl+a itself                                                                                           

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Pi-Hole pts/0                                                                                                                                        

Pi-Hole login: ubuntu (automatic login)                                                                                                                               

Last login: Sat Jul 24 21:30:12 UTC 2021 on pts/1                                                                                                                     
Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.14.24-qnap x86_64)                                                                                                           

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/                                                                                                                           
Unable to cd to '/home/ubuntu'   
I've tried re-enabling admin account and starting the container with it, still same issue. I've also deleted the container and image, and recreated it all over again, and still, the issue persists.

What is going on here?
oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: Issues with LXC Ubuntu container after disabling admin user

Post by oyvindo »

I belive that when you re-enable the admin account after first having disabled it, it is assigned a new ID which is different from the admin account ID that was used to install Container Station. It may be that the LXC container requires access to folders which only the original admin account has.
This is an example of the kind of severe problems that QNAP's advice can cause if you choose to comply.
Disabling the admin account that was used to set up the NAS effectively requires you to completely reinstall more or less everything again from scratch. QNAP neglected to inform about that. So, consequently you may now be stuck in the mud.

Sent fra min SM-G996B via Tapatalk

ImageImageImage
Maniac84
New here

Post by Maniac84 »

Thank you for your feedback, I was afraid of that. :(

But it seems that I managed to fix it by uninstalling Container Station, delete all files in the Container share, reboot, and reinstall Container Station.
Adding the LXC Ubuntu image , seems to login just fine. :)
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

Same boat here. Gave in to Qnaps nagging about the Admin account and I’d problems in most every application…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Container Station”