Who can benefit from IronWolf’s strengths?

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
Seagate.JohnP
New here

Who can benefit from IronWolf’s strengths?

Post by Seagate.JohnP »

Today we announced some pretty cool new drives with a whole new naming structure - centered around The Guardians. We came up with this in part to bring back the legacy of our hugely popular BarraCuda desktop drive. From there, we draw inspiration from the concepts of data being alive, and the elements around us enduring — and the animal guardians we selected match our products’ use cases in a very natural and fluid way: the power and tenacity of the wolf matched with the legacy of big iron; the vigilance and extraordinary perception of the hawk high in the sky, noticing the smallest movement below.

IronWolf is performance-tuned for creative professionals, hard-core gamers, home tech enthusiasts, and of course for businesses that need 24×7 dependable NAS solutions. So who can benefit the most?

Creative Professionals: Be creative anywhere with IronWolf in your NAS
Reliable and extendable storage helps keep your creative business on schedule. IronWolf is a great companion for your NAS for 24×7 remote access, backups and file sharing from anywhere, making sharing ideas easy. For growing agencies who need more storage, IronWolf is built for NAS scalability.

Gamers: Lead the pack with IronWolf-equipped NAS
Modern gaming PCs and gaming consoles do double duty as home media servers, but limited storage makes keeping every file locally-stored a challenge. Gamers can move music and videos to a NAS equipped with IronWolf, and use it as a storage target for media streaming. Get the most out of your game-centered PC or console. With capacities from 1TB to 10TB, you’ll be able to stream all the content you want from your NAS to your PC or to your game console to view it in HD on your TV.

Home tech enthusiasts: Dominate your own media empire
Build your home NAS media empire with IronWolf HDDs. IronWolf leads the class in storage capacity with drives as large as 10TB, and the performance needed to run high definition content with your NAS. Store thousands of full-length HD films and even more photographs on your private server. Think of it as your home cloud.

Business Leaders and IT Managers: Grow your business with an optimized NAS
A thriving small business needs storage that can thrive with it. IronWolf is optimized for NAS in multi-RAID environments that not only handle the vibration, but also handle the high user workload rate in a high data traffic network. Enter Multi-User Technology — providing up to 180TB a year for IronWolf.

Check out more on getting the most from your setup: http://blog.seagate.com/business/ironwolf/
edwardpoe
Getting the hang of things

Re: Who can benefit from IronWolf’s strengths?

Post by edwardpoe »

Any news on compatibility testing on QNAP NAS products?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
panagos
New here

Post by panagos »

++edwardpoe's question.

When will the compatibility matrix be updated to indicate compatibility with these devices?

Rgds
Soteri
edwardpoe
Getting the hang of things

Post by edwardpoe »

panagos wrote:++edwardpoe's question.

When will the compatibility matrix be updated to indicate compatibility with these devices?

Rgds
Soteri
I just took another look at the compatibility matrix and see that the IronWolf ST10000VN0004 and ST10000VN0014 have made it to the list and are supported on my TS-253 Pro machines. :DD
johnknierim
First post

Post by johnknierim »

I have 10 of the 10TB bad boys in my TVS-1282 and they are working fine!
fracturetrey
Starting out

Post by fracturetrey »

I am considering purchasing a QNAP TVS-873 and gradually filling it with 10 TB drives. I see that the Ironwolf NAS drive (ST10000VN0004) is on the compatibility list for this model, but the Ironwolf Pro (ST10000NE0004) is not. I do see the Ironwolf Pro listed as compatible on some other QNAP modeIs, such as the TS-231 (https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product_x_gr ... t=1&II=155). I know assumptions made when interpreting compatibility lists can lead to sadness down the road, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience with these drives or can come up with any reasons why they might not be compatible with the TVS-873. I suspect that QNAP just hasn't gotten around to certifying them for this model yet, so I did make a request via the form at the bottom of their compatibility webapp. I appreciate any feedback.
Last edited by fracturetrey on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TVS-873 (8x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TB ST10000NE0004 in RAID5)
TS-869 Pro (8x Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000 in RAID5)
TS-809 Pro (8x Western Digital 2TB in RAID5)
TS-509 Pro (5x Seagate 1.5TB in RAID5)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Home tech enthusiasts: Dominate your own media empire
Build your home NAS media empire with IronWolf HDDs. IronWolf leads the class in storage capacity with drives as large as 10TB, and the performance needed to run high definition content with your NAS. Store thousands of full-length HD films and even more photographs on your private server. Think of it as your home cloud.
hi john,

ty for the explanation, very nice read and something i was interested in learning more about.

my suggestion is if these hard drives deserve to regain back consumer trust at least in the bang for bucks segment for NAS use, then do get the professional reviewers involved into reviewing these product and covering what has changed, and how does it compare to the likes of HGST and western digital. earlier i was doing a search for another qnap member about seagate new hdd, but i could hardly find any info on 4tb model of these ironwolves :?

i don't mind testing these out on my NAS if you wanna send me some :mrgreen:

But what i'd normally look for in these hdds as a mainstream NAS user is

- bang for bucks (steer clear from cutting edge with premium price tags)
- 4tb-6tb minimum
- high mbtf
- good afr
- 5 year warranty
- good performance if not necessarily the best, cause storage capacity and reliability is more of a concern
- noise, vibration, head considerations :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
fracturetrey
Starting out

Post by fracturetrey »

fracturetrey wrote:I know assumptions made when interpreting compatibility lists can lead to sadness down the road, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience with these drives or can come up with any reasons why they might not be compatible with the TVS-873.
I decided to take the plunge. The Pro drives were detected by the TVS-873 and I was able to setup a static volume without issue. I'll update if I run into any issues, otherwise it's looking good at the moment.
TVS-873 (8x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TB ST10000NE0004 in RAID5)
TS-869 Pro (8x Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000 in RAID5)
TS-809 Pro (8x Western Digital 2TB in RAID5)
TS-509 Pro (5x Seagate 1.5TB in RAID5)
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

yeah, if you want to deal with a company that knowingly replaces a designed flawed nas(think intel cpu) with one that has the same flaw. no effort to FIX the problem (new motherboards) or put a gun to intels head 'to make it right" ...... real class act
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
JadedOmnivore
New here

Post by JadedOmnivore »

I purchased 2 x 4TB Ironwolf and replaced (expanded) a 2TB Seagate RAID 1 array in my TS-419P+ (ARM based) and everything was fine.
I then purchased a TS-563 and a third 4TB Ironwolf and stole the original 2 back out of the TS-419P+ to create a 3 disk RAID 5 on the TS-563.
Everything seems fine on the TS-563 running QTS 4.3.3. 0154.
The original 2TB RAID 1 in the TS419P+ was rebuilt from the original 2TB Seagates I had in there (QTS 4.3.3 0188), installing first the drive in bay 1, switching on, then when the array was recognised as degraded, inserted the second disk in bay 2 and rebuilt. All is fine again in the old system.
Compatibility would seem to be OK on both the ARM based 419P+ and AMD based 563 systems although they've only just been installed so no judgement yet on reliability.
TS-419P+ (QTS 4.3.3. 0361)
Bays 1&2 - 2TB RAID 1 Volume - 2 x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (F/W: CC32)
Bays 3&4 - 2TB RAID 1 Volume - 2 x 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (F/W: CC32)

TS-563 (QTS 4.3.3. 0361)
Bays 1-5 - 5 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf ST4000VN008-2DR166 (F/W: SC60) in RAID 6
DM Sheffield
New here

Post by DM Sheffield »

I just made the switch today to 4 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drives from 4 x 4TB WD Red drives, The reason I switched is the nightmare I'm having getting one drive RMA'd from Western Digital. I know both companies give recertified drives when they fail due to whatever issue but bad customer service will make or break a company and seeing that Seagate has partnered with Qnap I am will to give it a chance. I will post again after the switch is complete. FYI the WD drives are a good product but the company itself has issues it needs to correct in their RMA department.

Qnap-User Since 2011
TS-469 Pro
QTS 4.3.3
4 x 4TB WD40EFRX-Raid 5
DM Sheffield
New here

Post by DM Sheffield »

It's been a little over two months since I made the switch to the Seagate Ironwolf drives and I'm very pleased.

The swap of the drives went flawless.

The drive temperatures are lower.

The price was about $15.00 US dollars lower at the time of purchase and I saved $60.00, They are about the same right now around 130.00 US dollars.

I haven't notice any noise difference between the WD40EFRX and ST4000VN008.

I would say if you're thinking of upgrading give them a try.

Qnap-User Since 2011
TS-469 Pro
QTS 4.3.3.0299 Build 20170901
4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf (ST4000VN008)
DevRogue
First post

Post by DevRogue »

I take it you bought #ST4000VN008 since you mentioned the 4TB ones; that wasn't listed on the TS-469 Pro's compatibility list.

what are the risks by not being on the compatible list but not mentioned in the "not recommended" list either?

I have a TS-469L and got a good deal on 3x 3TB ironwolfs; looking to see what my options are.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

DevRogue wrote:what are the risks by not being on the compatible list but not mentioned in the "not recommended" list either?
The risk is that it's incompatible but with a well known disk like Ironwolf, that are on the compatibility list for many other Qnap models, that risk is microscopic.

If it's a good deal I would go for it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

DevRogue wrote:I take it you bought #ST4000VN008 since you mentioned the 4TB ones; that wasn't listed on the TS-469 Pro's compatibility list.

what are the risks by not being on the compatible list but not mentioned in the "not recommended" list either?

I have a TS-469L and got a good deal on 3x 3TB ironwolfs; looking to see what my options are.
What "not recommended" list?

And are we allowing disk manufacturer ads on this forum now? Which this clearly is.

I'll await one from WD soon.

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”